List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Paul DuBois Date:October 1 1999 6:33pm
Subject:Re: best way to insert() if not using LOAD DATA INFILE
View as plain text
At 12:37 AM -0500 10/1/99, M wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I have a question regarding the use of INSERT, if it is not possible to
>use LOAD DATA INFILE. I currently do not have file privileges in the
>MySQL grant table 'user', so I cannot use LOAD DATA INFILE or to read
>data from a file into a table (this is a pain) - I must use INSERT (as
>far as I know). I need to read a batch file, which contains fixed-length
>fields and store the data into a table while users are reading the same
>table. Could someone tell me an efficient way to do this using the
>INSERT syntax.

If you have MySQL 3.22.15 or later, you can use LOAD DATA LOCAL,
which does not require FILE privileges because the client reads the
file and sends it over the network to the server.  This is slower
than if the server reads the file directly, but still more efficient
than INSERT.

--
Paul DuBois, paul@stripped
Thread