List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Dan Nelson Date:August 24 2003 5:26am
Subject:Re: finding out what localhost is
View as plain text
In the last episode (Aug 24), Pag said:
> 	Heres the problem. I have one of my client's site hosted on a
> crappy server, and i have it running with php+mysql ok, the thing is
> i need to connect to that site's mysql's database from a remote site
> to get some data. The problem is that on the origin site (the crappy
> server), to connect to the database, i use "localhost". How can i
> find out the real server to connect to from the other site? I tried
> using the whole domain, like www.crappyserver.com, but that doesnt
> work. :-P tried using the ip and still nothing, how can i find out
> the real "server/port" of the mysql database on the crappyserver?

"localhost" is used in mysql to refer to the Unix domain socket.  For
security, they may not even provide remote TCP access to the mysql
server.  If "SHOW VARIABLES LIKE 'skip_networking'" returns ON, then
TCP access has been disabled.  Otherwise, "SHOW VARIABLES LIKE 'port'"
will tell you what port number it's listening on.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson@stripped