List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:John Francis Lee Date:August 24 2003 5:15am
Subject:Difficulty with thai columns
View as plain text
Hello,

I've downloaded 4.1 and am experimenting with a thai-english word list
to discover just how this will work with mysql.

So far I'm not having success.

First I tried
create table words (
   thai varchar(30) character set tis620,
   thai_sense int,
   english varchar(30) character set latin1,
   english_sense int
  )  ;

But when I tried
insert into words_utf8 (
 thai_word,
 thai_sense,
 english_word,
 english_sense
) values ( 'นำ้', 1, 'water', 1) ;

I got a broken connection.

I figured this was because I was entering utf8 and expecting tis620.

So I
CREATE TABLE words_utf8 (
  thai_word varchar(30),
  thai_sense int,
  english_word varchar(30),
  english_sense int
) TYPE=MyISAM CHARSET=utf8

(coincidentally I had to edit the 'invariant' output of 'show create
table' to make this work. There were extraneous forward quotes around
the table and column names that made mysql choke.)

And then the simple insertion worked ok, but the output from a select

mysql> select * from words_utf8 ;
+-----------+------------+--------------+---------------+
| thai_word | thai_sense | english_word | english_sense |
+-----------+------------+--------------+---------------+
| ???ำ??? |          1 | water        |             1 |
| ???ำ??? |          1 | water        |             1 |
| ???ำ??? |          1 | water        |             1 |
+-----------+------------+--------------+---------------+
3 rows in set (0.00 sec)

shows unrenderable characters for the Thai.

So what do I do about this?

Any help greatly appreciated.

--
John Francis Lee
1/9-10 Thanon Trairat

Thread
Difficulty with thai columnsJohn Francis Lee24 Aug
  • Re: Difficulty with thai columnsEgor Egorov25 Aug
    • Re: Difficulty with thai columnsEgor Egorov26 Aug