List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Steven Lefevre Date:August 22 2003 5:21pm
Subject:RE: RAID or not?
View as plain text

-----Original Message-----
From: news [mailto:news@stripped]On Behalf Of Jon Drukman
Sent: Thursday, August 21, 2003 9:24 PM
To: mysql@stripped

Lefevre, Steven wrote:

> I say go with RAID 5, on a controller card.
>
> Mirroring just gives you backup, and you lose half your diskspace. It
offers
> no performance benefit, and actually the computer might have to work
harder
> to make sure the drives are in sync.

"that is not true.  mirroring gives you double the read speed and half
the write speed.  RAID5 gives you less than half the write speed."
-------------
OK, I see how it can give you double the read speed, but how can it give you
have the write speed? Does it split the data between disks and then sync
them later?

--------
"that's why i said if your database app is mostly selects go for
mirroring.  the OP said his app is about 50% select, so i say mirroring
is a good choice.

and hey, what's wrong with having a backup?  the computer doesn't work
any harder, it's all handled through the RAID controller card anyway."
-------------

Of course, there's nothing wrong with having a backup, in fact he should.
But I was under the mistaken impression that that was all disk mirroing did
for you.

Thread
RAID or not?Jackson Miller21 Aug
  • Re: RAID or not?Jon Drukman21 Aug
    • Re: RAID or not?Jackson Miller21 Aug
      • RE: RAID or not?Steven) (Lefevre21 Aug
        • Re: RAID or not?David Griffiths21 Aug
        • Re: RAID or not?Per Andreas Buer21 Aug
        • Re: RAID or not?Jon Drukman22 Aug
          • Re: RAID or not?Dan Nelson22 Aug
          • RE: RAID or not?Steven) (Lefevre22 Aug
            • RE: RAID or not?Michael Loftis2 Sep
  • Re: RAID or not?Colbey21 Aug
  • Re: RAID or not?Per Andreas Buer21 Aug
RE: RAID or not?Alec.Cawley22 Aug
  • Re: RAID or not?Jim McAtee23 Aug
    • Re: RAID or not?Michael Loftis2 Sep
RE: RAID or not?Alec.Cawley22 Aug