List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Bob Goldberg Date:August 22 2003 6:53am
Subject:Setting up MySQL on Mac OS X
View as plain text
I'm a novice Unix user, and I can't get MySQL set up properly on my
Mac. It seems to have installed OK, but when I try to run the
mysql_install_ db script, I get errors. I can't set the root password
either that the documentation tells me to.

As background, I just want to use MySQL to work with databases and PHP
and HTML to set up web pages for database input and output. I'm running
MySQL on my own machine at home, and have no use for passwords or any
other administrative functions. I'm just looking to use the program to
set up and query databases.

Can anyone point me to a way to avoid all the UNIX admin stuff and run
the database? I can get in, but the mysql database doesn't appear when
I hit SHOW DATABASES as the tutuorial says, and I can't access or
create new databases. I think all this may have something to do with my
user account on my machine, but I'm not savvy enough to know how to
override permissions, be root, or any of that stuff. Any hints?

Bob

Thread
Setting up MySQL on Mac OS XBob Goldberg22 Aug
  • Re: Setting up MySQL on Mac OS XRich Allen22 Aug
    • Re: Setting up MySQL on Mac OS XTony Thomas22 Aug
    • Re: Setting up MySQL on Mac OS XKim Kohen22 Aug
  • Re: Setting up MySQL on Mac OS XEgor Egorov22 Aug