List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Dan Nelson Date:August 21 2003 2:28am
Subject:Re: Grown defects in a RAID array
View as plain text
In the last episode (Aug 20), Dathan Vance Pattishall said:
> I've notice that when grown defects (bad blocks on the disk caused by
> usage over time) that my dedicated mysql server is adversely
> effected.

Affected how?  The grown defect list is usually reserved for blocks
that were discovered to be marginal (i.e. the data was recovered from
the ECC data or after multiple reads, and no error was reported to the
system).  If you are really seeing read errors reported back to the OS,
return the drive for a replacement immediately if it's in warranty.
There's no reason for you to accept read errors from any modern drive.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson@stripped