List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Martin Gainty Date:August 21 2003 4:56am
Subject:Re: MySQL 4.0.13 Memory problem under heavy load
View as plain text
I would run the DB on a RAMDisk
http://www.ibiblio.org/mdw/linuxfocus/English/November1999/article124.html
Anyone else?
Martin
----- Original Message -----
From: "Kayra Otaner" <kayra@stripped>
To: <mysql@stripped>
Sent: Wednesday, August 20, 2003 3:56 PM
Subject: MySQL 4.0.13 Memory problem under heavy load

> Hi all,
>
> I want to get your opinions on how to increase available/free memory and
> performance on a heavy volume database server.
>
> I have MySQL 4.0.13 running on RH 7.2 replicated to another RH 7.2 using
> same MySQL version.
> Recently our master database server (2 AMD Cpu + 2Gb memory + 2Gb swap
> space) started to suffer from  memory outages because of heavy load.
> During day available free memory is changing from 200Mb to 5Mb and when
> available memory reaches to 5Mb MySQL starts to give 'Too many
> connections' messages. Db server is working with 45-70 query/second and
> more than 25,712 connection per hour. There are active 10-13 threads
> serving databases.
>
> To increase available free memory I've did the following :
> 1- Optimized all tables
> 2- Removed unneccessary/old indexes
> 3- Moved unused databases to replication server
> 4- Increased key_buffer_size from 8Mb to 128Mb
> 5- Have increased max_connection from 100 to 150
> 6- Have increased thread_cache to 5
>
> This changes helped a bit but still memory is a problem for MySQL. What
> should I do to prevent 'too many connections' messages and have more
> memory available on database servers? Should I remove more indexes from
> tables? Should I increase key_buffer_size to 256Mb or more?
> Key_buffer_size doesn't look like a problem since key efficiency looks
> 100% most of the time.
>

> Thank you for your time
>
> Kayra Otaner

Need help optimizing query, awfully slow on only 20000 recordsCarmel Entertainment)19 Aug
  • RE: Need help optimizing query, awfully slow on only 20000 recordsJim Smith20 Aug
RE: Need help optimizing query, awfully slow on only 20000 recordsCarmel Entertainment)20 Aug
  • RE: Need help optimizing query, awfully slow on only 20000 recordsMichael S. Fischer21 Aug
RE: Need help optimizing query, awfully slow on only 20000 recordsCarmel Entertainment)21 Aug
  • RE: Need help optimizing query, awfully slow on only 20000 recordsMichael S. Fischer21 Aug
  • Seeking advice on best table structureScott Haneda21 Aug
    • Re: Seeking advice on best table structurePete McNeil21 Aug
    • Re: Seeking advice on best table structureRoger Baklund21 Aug
      • Re: Seeking advice on best table structureRajesh Kumar21 Aug
        • Re: Seeking advice on best table structureRoger Baklund21 Aug
Re: Need help optimizing query, awfully slow on only 20000 recordsCarmel Entertainment)21 Aug
RE: Need help optimizing query, awfully slow on only 20000 recordsCarmel Entertainment)21 Aug
  • MySQL 4.0.13 Memory problem under heavy loadKayra Otaner21 Aug
    • RE: MySQL 4.0.13 Memory problem under heavy loadMichael S. Fischer21 Aug
    • Re: MySQL 4.0.13 Memory problem under heavy loadDan Nelson21 Aug
  • Re: MySQL 4.0.13 Memory problem under heavy loadMartin Gainty21 Aug