List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Scott Haneda Date:August 20 2003 10:30pm
Subject:Seeking advice on best table structure
View as plain text
What would be a good way to deal with the following...

I have a form that has 5 checkboxes on it, lets say the checkboxes are for
categories, and more than one can be selected.

For example:
please tell is what brochure you want
[] car
[] boat
[] truck
[] SUV
[] beetle

I have been asked to provide statistics on how many total form submissions
there are per month.  This part seems pretty simple, I just add a new record
every time the form is sent.

They also want to know stats on which categories were picked as well.  I
don't know if I should create one table to store just the fact that a form
has been posted, and then another to store the 5 above values.

I don't see the 5 categories being changed, so I could create 5 fields in
one table, and tally them that way, or I could create one field and put the
actual value in that field and tally them that way.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

http://www.newgeo.com                       Fax: 313.557.5052
scott@stripped                            Novato, CA U.S.A.

Thread
Need help optimizing query, awfully slow on only 20000 recordsCarmel Entertainment)19 Aug
  • RE: Need help optimizing query, awfully slow on only 20000 recordsJim Smith20 Aug
RE: Need help optimizing query, awfully slow on only 20000 recordsCarmel Entertainment)20 Aug
  • RE: Need help optimizing query, awfully slow on only 20000 recordsMichael S. Fischer21 Aug
RE: Need help optimizing query, awfully slow on only 20000 recordsCarmel Entertainment)21 Aug
  • RE: Need help optimizing query, awfully slow on only 20000 recordsMichael S. Fischer21 Aug
  • Seeking advice on best table structureScott Haneda21 Aug
    • Re: Seeking advice on best table structurePete McNeil21 Aug
    • Re: Seeking advice on best table structureRoger Baklund21 Aug
      • Re: Seeking advice on best table structureRajesh Kumar21 Aug
        • Re: Seeking advice on best table structureRoger Baklund21 Aug
Re: Need help optimizing query, awfully slow on only 20000 recordsCarmel Entertainment)21 Aug
RE: Need help optimizing query, awfully slow on only 20000 recordsCarmel Entertainment)21 Aug
  • MySQL 4.0.13 Memory problem under heavy loadKayra Otaner21 Aug
    • RE: MySQL 4.0.13 Memory problem under heavy loadMichael S. Fischer21 Aug
    • Re: MySQL 4.0.13 Memory problem under heavy loadDan Nelson21 Aug
  • Re: MySQL 4.0.13 Memory problem under heavy loadMartin Gainty21 Aug