List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:jkelty Date:August 18 2003 6:15pm
Subject:Re: Table locking...
View as plain text
I could fix this if I changed the table type to InnoDB, correct?

-James

Quoting Jeremy Zawodny <Jeremy@stripped>:

> On Mon, Aug 18, 2003 at 10:41:55AM -0700, jkelty@stripped wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I just have a question about the table locking in 3.23.56. If I am
> inserting a
> > row into a table that is MyISAM type, is the entire table locked?
>
> Yes.
>
> > And, if so, what does this mean for concurrent selects?
>
> An INSERT obtains a WRITE lock on the table, so no concurrent reads
> can happen until the write lock is released and someone obtains a READ
> lock.
>
> There's a special case: a MyISAM table with fixed-length rows and no
> deleted records allows for INSERTs to happen with SELECTs running.
>
> Jeremy
> --
> Jeremy D. Zawodny     |  Perl, Web, MySQL, Linux Magazine, Yahoo!
> <Jeremy@stripped>  |  http://jeremy.zawodny.com/
>
> MySQL 4.0.13: up 17 days, processed 869,429,243 queries (591/sec. avg)

Thread
Table locking...jkelty18 Aug
  • RE: Table locking...Dathan Vance Pattishall18 Aug
  • Re: Table locking...Dan Nelson18 Aug
  • Re: Table locking...Jeremy Zawodny18 Aug
    • Re: Table locking...jkelty18 Aug
      • Re: Table locking...Jeremy Zawodny18 Aug