List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Jeremy Zawodny Date:August 18 2003 6:13pm
Subject:Re: Table locking...
View as plain text
On Mon, Aug 18, 2003 at 10:41:55AM -0700, jkelty@stripped wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I just have a question about the table locking in 3.23.56. If I am inserting a
> row into a table that is MyISAM type, is the entire table locked?

Yes.

> And, if so, what does this mean for concurrent selects?

An INSERT obtains a WRITE lock on the table, so no concurrent reads
can happen until the write lock is released and someone obtains a READ
lock.

There's a special case: a MyISAM table with fixed-length rows and no
deleted records allows for INSERTs to happen with SELECTs running.

Jeremy
<Jeremy@stripped>  |  http://jeremy.zawodny.com/

MySQL 4.0.13: up 17 days, processed 869,429,243 queries (591/sec. avg)
Thread
Table locking...jkelty18 Aug
  • RE: Table locking...Dathan Vance Pattishall18 Aug
  • Re: Table locking...Dan Nelson18 Aug
  • Re: Table locking...Jeremy Zawodny18 Aug
    • Re: Table locking...jkelty18 Aug
      • Re: Table locking...Jeremy Zawodny18 Aug