List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Lars Friend Date:April 6 1999 10:14pm
Subject:documentation suggestion
View as plain text
  I have a suggestoin for the documentation (and maybe a little code).
First, here is some background to my suggestion:

  I have been trying out MySQL under linux, and it is quite spiffy, and i
really like the C API.  I wanted to port my client to windows, and i found
that the documentation only covered doing it through ODBC (which is a
painfully convoluded way to get at stuff, and requires more code changes
than the rest of the port altogether).  What i did was i downloaded the
ODBC driver source, and i happily found that underneath all the odbc stuff
was just an already ported verson of the API i was using under Linux
(along with some support libraries).  I compiled all the libraries and did
a little tinkering with the linking (they replace part of the Visual C
standard library set) and linked this all into my application, and all was
well.
  My suggestion is that it could save many people quite a bit of time if
the above procedure (possibly cleaned up by somebody who knows how to
teach users how to do stuff) were included in the documentation, or even
better if a version of the C library were available seperate of the ODBC
stuff...

  Well, thanks for listening,

     Lars Friend   (larsfrnd@stripped)

Thread
documentation suggestionLars Friend7 Apr
  • documentation suggestionMichael Widenius10 Apr