List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Simon Windsor Date:August 17 2003 11:38am
Subject:Re: PHP or Perl?
View as plain text
Hi

Where to start ....

For a pure web system, I would recommend PHP. It is smaller, faster and
interfaces better with apache. This was its design goal.

For a non web system, it has to be PERL.

For a mixed system, I would again favour Perl, due to its flexibilty and
power.

I am currently working on a system with a few friends and we have chosen to
write it in Perl. The prototype was written in Php, and was well received,
but the production copy had to move to perl. We had so much code that we had
to duplicate between web and backend systems, that Perl was the only viable
option. The code uses several libraries, accessed from modperl, cgi and
standalone perl apps.

Finally, the standard interface that Perl offers for databases, DBI, makes
writing MySQL/Perl applications much easy.

I hope this helps

Simon

On Saturday 16 August 2003 06:17, Mark Healey wrote:
> As part of my own learning mysql project I'm planning to build
> databases for all my books and DVD's.  Stephen Hawking is probably
> a better typist than I am so I plan to use barcodes to get the info
> ,taking the information from various web sites.
>
> People tell me that PHP is THE way to do database work with mysql.
> The thing is, I'm familiar with Perl and it has all kinds of neat
> string manipulation stuff and LWP.
>
> Does PHP have comprable libraries (especially LWP) and how difficult
> is it to move from Perl.
>
> I hope I don't start a relegious war here I just want some advice.
>

> Mark Healey
> mylists@stripped
>
> This account is only for lists to which I've subscribed.
> Any spammers invite the worst revenge I think I can get away with.

Simon Windsor
Eml: simon.windsor@stripped
Tel: 01454 617689
Mob: 07720 447385

MailScanner, http://www.mailscanner.info, and is believed to be clean.

Thread
PHP or Perl?Mark Healey16 Aug
  • Re: PHP or Perl?Dan Nelson16 Aug
  • images on databaseLuiz Rafael Culik Guimaraes16 Aug
    • Re: images on databaseÃåùñãéÜäçò Ãéþñãïò17 Aug
      • Re: images on databasecolbey17 Aug
  • Re: PHP or Perl?mos17 Aug
    • Re: PHP or Perl?Joel Rees18 Aug
  • Re: PHP or Perl?O'K Web Design17 Aug
    • Re: PHP or Perl?Jackson Miller17 Aug
  • Re: PHP or Perl?Simon Windsor17 Aug
    • Re: PHP or Perl? (or Rebol via TCP/IP)Tim Johnson17 Aug
  • Re: images on databaseLuiz Rafael Culik Guimaraes17 Aug
  • Re: PHP or Perl?Joel Rees18 Aug
Re: PHP or Perl?Amer Neely16 Aug
Re: PHP or Perl?Markus Jais17 Aug
Re: PHP or Perl?Eric Frazier18 Aug
Re: PHP or Perl? (or Rebol via TCP/IP)D De Villiers \(Work- AKURA\)22 Aug
Re: PHP or Perl? (or Rebol via TCP/IP)Work- AKURA)23 Aug
Re: PHP or Perl? (or Rebol via TCP/IP)Work- AKURA)23 Aug