List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:mos Date:August 16 2003 10:08pm
Subject:Re: PHP or Perl?
View as plain text
At 12:17 AM 8/16/2003, you wrote:
>As part of my own learning mysql project I'm planning to build
>databases for all my books and DVD's.  Stephen Hawking is probably
>a better typist than I am so I plan to use barcodes to get the info
>,taking the information from various web sites.
>
>People tell me that PHP is THE way to do database work with mysql.
>The thing is, I'm familiar with Perl and it has all kinds of neat
>string manipulation stuff and LWP.
>
>Does PHP have comprable libraries (especially LWP) and how difficult
>is it to move from Perl.
>
>I hope I don't start a relegious war here I just want some advice.

Mark,
         Perl is a much richer (larger) programming language than PHP. PHP
is best suited for designing webpages whereas Perl is a more universal tool
(you can use it for just about anything). The only advantage of PHP is that
it runs faster than Perl which may be important if a lot of people are
accessing your web page. But if you are running this application locally on
your hard disk (not as a web page), then probably C++ will give you the
fastest possible application.

Mike

Thread
PHP or Perl?Mark Healey16 Aug
  • Re: PHP or Perl?Dan Nelson16 Aug
  • images on databaseLuiz Rafael Culik Guimaraes16 Aug
    • Re: images on databaseÃåùñãéÜäçò Ãéþñãïò17 Aug
      • Re: images on databasecolbey17 Aug
  • Re: PHP or Perl?mos17 Aug
    • Re: PHP or Perl?Joel Rees18 Aug
  • Re: PHP or Perl?O'K Web Design17 Aug
    • Re: PHP or Perl?Jackson Miller17 Aug
  • Re: PHP or Perl?Simon Windsor17 Aug
    • Re: PHP or Perl? (or Rebol via TCP/IP)Tim Johnson17 Aug
  • Re: images on databaseLuiz Rafael Culik Guimaraes17 Aug
  • Re: PHP or Perl?Joel Rees18 Aug
Re: PHP or Perl?Amer Neely16 Aug
Re: PHP or Perl?Markus Jais17 Aug
Re: PHP or Perl?Eric Frazier18 Aug
Re: PHP or Perl? (or Rebol via TCP/IP)D De Villiers \(Work- AKURA\)22 Aug
Re: PHP or Perl? (or Rebol via TCP/IP)Work- AKURA)23 Aug
Re: PHP or Perl? (or Rebol via TCP/IP)Work- AKURA)23 Aug