List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Eric Stauffer Date:April 6 1999 7:55pm
Subject:DBD:mysql = gnashing of teeth: Please help
View as plain text
Relative mySQL newbie but not totally clueless. Here's the situation. I
have mySQL up and running on Red Hat Linux. I've got Netscape Enterprise
Server, perl, and DBI 1.06 installed on a SGI box. Installation went very
smoothly. Last step of course is to install the mySQL DBD. Here's the way
things progress:

smokedog1 4# perl Makefile.PL
Checking for DBI, 0.93 or later ... ok
Checking for Data::Dumper ... ok
Checking for Data::ShowTable ...
You don't have installed the Data::ShowTable module. You won't be able
to use 'dbimon' the DBI shell.I'll continue installing the Msql-Mysql
modules
anyways so that you can install Data::ShowTable at a later time.

Missing modules are available from any CPAN mirror, for example

   ftp://ftp.funet.fi/pub/languages/perl/CPAN/modules/by-module

Which DBMS do you want to use?

  1) MySQL
  2) mSQL (1 or 2)
  3) Both MySQL and mSQL

  4) mSQL1 and mSQL2
  5) Everything (MySQL, mSQL1 and mSQL2)

Enter your choice:  [3] 1

Do you want to install the MysqlPerl emulation? You might keep your old
Mysql module (to be distinguished from DBD::mysql!) if you are concerned
about compatibility to existing applications! [n]
Which database should I use for testing the Mysql drivers? [test]
On which host is database test running (hostname,  ip address or
host:port)
 [localhost] <IP Address of Linux Box>
User name for connecting to database test? [undef] <username>
Password for connecting to database test? [undef] <password>
Where is your mysql installed? Please tell me the directory that contains
the subdir include/. [/usr/local]
Where is your mysql installed? Please tell me the directory that contains
the subdir lib/. [/usr/local]
Cannot find one of lib/mysql/libmysqlclient.a, lib/libmysqlclient.a,
client/libmysqlclient.a, lib/mysql/libmysqlclient.so, lib/libmy
sqlclient.so, client/libmysqlclient.so in /usr/local at Makefile.PL line
91, <STDIN> chunk 8.

My question is: do I need to install mySQL on the SGI box in order to get
the libs in the correct place for the DBD install? I've copied the tarball
to a temp directory ( but notice there is no 'libmysqlclient.so' in the
distribution. I've looks about everywhere but can find nothing.

Any pointers would be GREATLY appreciated.

TIA,
  Eric

Thread
DBD:mysql = gnashing of teeth: Please helpEric Stauffer6 Apr
  • DBD:mysql = gnashing of teeth: Please helpMichael Widenius10 Apr