List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Fred Lindberg Date:September 29 1999 11:09pm
Subject:Re: List trailer
View as plain text
On Wed, 29 Sep 1999 06:41:40 -0400 (EDT), Bob Kline wrote:

>Is the mailing list software broken, or did it get reconfigured?  I'm
>seeing postings without the trailer which tells people how to leave the

You tell me how to add a trailer to a multipart/alternative message.
The only way to do it right is to encapsulate it in another mime
message with the message. However, then many recipients will see only
the trailer with the message as an attachment. Not pretty.

ezmlm+idxs a trailer iff:

The admin choses to do so
-and-
{ the message is non-mime and charset matches that of the list.
-or-
the message is multipart and not parallel/alternative/signed }

otherwise, it keeps it's little fingers of your post. It can get a
little confusing since it also strips out text/html parts from
multipart/alternative messages, but the idea is never to corrupt a
message and never to output garbage. Of course it will need to be
taught that us-ascii for practivcal purposes is a subset of iso-8859-*.

Since the trailer is quite repetitive, most get the message even if
it's not in every message ;-) For the thread command, you can use the
number of any message in the thread. The message number is in the
return-path/envelope sender.

-Sincerely, Fred