List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Michael Widenius Date:September 29 1999 8:59pm
Subject:Re: Strange lock up
View as plain text
>>>>> "Brian" == Brian Moon <brianm@stripped> writes:

Brian> Ok, it locked up again.  I will be running it with --log now, but have not
Brian> yet because it had not died.  I did a

>> mysqladmin ext # would not run

>> mysqladmin var # would not run

>> mysqladmin pro # would run, output below

Brian> Got no response.  During this lock up, the mysql cpu hovered around 58% for
Brian> hours before we found it. We have a script that logs the mysql cpu every 2
Brian> minutes.

Brian> This is the command line used (I got it from ps -aux | grep mysql):

Brian> /usr/local/mysql-3.22.26/libexec/mysqld --basedir=/usr/local/mysql-3.22.26 -
Brian> -datadir=/usr/local/mysql-3.22.26/var -O max_connections=250 -O
Brian> back_log=100 -O table_cache=250 -O wait_timeout=300

Brian> I will add --log to this command line.

Brian> Any other ideas?

<cut>

This seams to be a problem with some mutex lock somewhere.  This could
be a problem also with your thread library.

Some suggestions:

- Upgrade to BSD 3.2
- Try if MySQL 3.23.4 helps.
- Get gcc 2.95 and use this when you compile MySQL
- Recompile mysql with --with-debug ;  This will enable some mutex
  checking in MySQL that may solve this!

- Running mysqld under gdb and when you get a lock, kill mysqld and
  get back traces for all threads.

Another issue;   Can you find some tool for FreeBSD that writes a
stack trace for all running threads?  (Solaris have a utility called
pstack that does this).

Sorry that I don't have any specific suggestions, but I have only seen
one similar case before and I couldn't get a stack trace of this
either :(

Regards,
Monty

Thread
BUG: Strange lock upBrian Moon23 Sep
  • BUG: Strange lock upJani Tolonen23 Sep
  • Re: Strange lock upBrian Moon23 Sep
    • Re: Strange lock upJani Tolonen24 Sep
  • BUG: Strange lock upMichael Widenius24 Sep
  • Re: Strange lock upBrian Moon25 Sep
  • Re: Strange lock upBrian Moon29 Sep
    • Re: Strange lock upMichael Widenius29 Sep
  • Re: Strange lock upBrian Moon30 Sep
    • Re: Strange lock upMichael Widenius30 Sep
  • Re: Strange lock upBrian Moon30 Sep
    • Re: Strange lock upsinisa30 Sep
    • Re: Strange lock upMichael Widenius30 Sep
  • Re: Strange lock upBrian Moon4 Oct
  • Re: Strange lock upBrian Moon12 Oct
    • Re: Strange lock upMichael Widenius12 Oct
  • Re: Strange lock upshane12 Oct
  • Re: Strange lock upBrian Moon12 Oct
    • Re: Strange lock upMichael Widenius12 Oct
RE: Strange lock upTimothy Chi5 Oct