List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Paul DuBois Date:September 29 1999 5:41pm
Subject:Re: mysqlclient C API vs. DBI
View as plain text
At 12:31 PM -0500 9/29/99, Ed Carp wrote:
>On Wed, 29 Sep 1999, Paul DuBois wrote:
>
>> At 1:29 AM -0500 9/29/99, bpaduraru wrote:
>> >C was, is and will be always faster than Perl.
>> >
>> >          Bogdan Paduraru
>> >software engineer - Petar (www.petar.ro)
>>
>> Faster to execute.  Very likely slower if you're talking about the
>> time needed to write your program, particularly if you're doing
>> a lot of string manipulation.
>
>That's OK - write once, run many times.  C is the clear winner.  If you
>use the MyC C API, your code development time is also cut significantly
>(plug, plug).
>
>String manipulation code isn't hard to write, and there are a fair number
>of string manipulation functions in most C libraries.

All I was trying to point out is that it's not such a clear cut decision.
You seem to be trying to make it appear as though it is, so I'm going
to disagree. :-)

It's true that wrapper functions can make the C API easier to use.
That may indeed cut the margin between development time for the C API
and the API for other languages.  I'm not sure it actually reverses
the field.  You still have compile time.  Yes, you incur interpreter
startup for scripts, and C is normally the winner there, but unless
the program is executed a LOT, it may well be cheaper to burn cycles
than spend more programmer time.

re: string manipulation.  A matter of preference, perhaps.  Perl code
is dog-ugly, but I much prefer its text manipulation capabilities to
anything I've seen in C.

By the way, I use multiple languages myself, so I'm not saying "don't
use C."  Please don't get that impression.

--
Paul DuBois, paul@stripped
Thread
        • Re: mysqlclient C API vs. DBIPaul DuBois29 Sep
        • Re: mysqlclient C API vs. DBIbpaduraru29 Sep
          • Re: mysqlclient C API vs. DBIPaul DuBois29 Sep
            • Re: mysqlclient C API vs. DBIEd Carp29 Sep
            • Re: mysqlclient C API vs. DBIbpaduraru29 Sep
          • Re: mysqlclient C API vs. DBIBob Kline29 Sep
Re: mysqlclient C API vs. DBIWayne Kodie29 Sep
  • Re: mysqlclient C API vs. DBIEd Carp29 Sep
    • Re: mysqlclient C API vs. DBIAlex Povolotsky1 Oct
  • Re: mysqlclient C API vs. DBIbpaduraru29 Sep
  • Re: mysqlclient C API vs. DBIsasha15 Oct
RE: mysqlclient C API vs. DBIAaron Lake30 Sep
RE: mysqlclient C API vs. DBIadhir1 Oct