List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Niels Larsen Date:July 29 2003 7:28pm
Subject:Re: fulltext indexing and query speeds?
View as plain text
Sergei,

Thank you for the nice help.

> Try to experiment with bulk_insert_buffer variable. You need both big
> keycache and big bulk_insert_buffer.

I lowered key_buffer_size from 512M to 256M and increased bulk_insert_buffer_size
from 8M to 128M.

> When MERGE tables will support fulltext searches you can use them to
> keep small table where you insert data, and from time to time move the
> data from it to the big one. Actually you can do it with UNION even now,
> but it's not nice solution at all.

Oh, I will do anything to make it work .. I will do unions between 50 selects
if I must. I access MySQL via an abstracted perl api which I dont change,
so I can live with awful things underneath if there is just a shiny surface. If
unionizing doesnt slow fulltext search much, then I try that first.

Will a future MySQL version combine the current nice and fast word-search
with ability to add data in finite time? I saw "Make all operations with FULLTEXT
index faster" on the TODO list .. are you able to say what is in the pipe?

Greetings, Niels L

Bioinformatics Research Center (BIRC)
Aarhus University
Hoegh Guldbergsgade 10
DK 8000 Aarhus C
Denmark

Thread
How to know the maxmimum length of data in a perticular column?Karam Chand28 Jul
  • Re: How to know the maxmimum length of data in a perticular column?Dan Nelson28 Jul
    • fulltext indexing and query speeds?Niels Larsen28 Jul
      • Re: fulltext indexing and query speeds?Sergei Golubchik28 Jul
    • Re: How to know the maxmimum length of data in a perticular column?Karam Chand29 Jul
      • Category System schemaAlex Pilson29 Jul
        • RE: Category System schemaPeter Lovatt29 Jul
Re: fulltext indexing and query speeds?Sergei Golubchik29 Jul
  • Re: fulltext indexing and query speeds?Niels Larsen29 Jul
    • Re: fulltext indexing and query speeds?Sergei Golubchik30 Jul