List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Michael Widenius Date:September 29 1999 12:45pm
Subject:Re: MySQL Data Loss!!! Please Help!
View as plain text

Bob> On Mon, 27 Sep 1999, Adam wrote:
>> Hi Everyone,
>>
>> I  just recently shut down my MySQL Server for a ftp download backup,
>> and  when  I  restarted  it, I lost about 400-500 records! My Boss is
>> ready  to  kill  me,  I  use DBI for a web interface and now it won't
>> even insert records! Can anyone explain this or tell me a way I might
>> be  able  to  recover  the lost data?  The table file sizes look like
>> they are identical!
>>
>> Please please help!
>>

>> Best Regards,
>> Adam Long
>> Support@stripped
>> Internet Media Solutions

Bob> Adam:

Bob> I've copied this to the MySQL mailing list, since it sounds more like a
Bob> MySQL problem than a DBI problem (you may want to drop the DBI list for
Bob> further traffic on the thread).

Bob> Be sure you back up the current files before doing anything further (but
Bob> you knew that).

Bob> How did you shut down MySQL?

Bob> Exactly what is the symptom which reflects the loss of the missing
Bob> records?  Is this a single table?  When you say "The table file sizes
Bob> look like they are identical" what exactly do you mean?  Are you
Bob> comparing the size of the .ISD for a table with the size of the same
Bob> .ISD file on a backup tape?  What platform are you running under?  What
Bob> versions of the software?  Have you looked at the documentation for
Bob> isamchk?  Have you used it?

Hi!

Bob offers a lot of good advises.  Some other comments:

MySQL will not loose data if you take it down properly!  In any case,
if isamchk doesn't find any errors on your tables it means someone has
deleted the missing rows with an SQL statement!

Do you have an update log?  If yes, you should be able to restore
things quite easily.

Regards,
Monty
Thread
Re: MySQL Data Loss!!! Please Help!Bob Kline27 Sep
  • Re: MySQL Data Loss!!! Please Help!Michael Widenius29 Sep