List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Brent Baisley Date:July 29 2003 2:56pm
Subject:Re: text search question
View as plain text
Since you are putting a wild card at the front of the phrase, indexes
can't be used. You definitely want to change that to a full text index
if you want to search on words or phrases contained in a field.

I use a full text search on a database with 15k records and growing.
Each record contains a field with about 2-3 pages worth of text.
Searching is quick, even for complex searches. A few seconds at most on
a very slow machine (Macintosh 350Mhz G4).

On Tuesday, July 29, 2003, at 10:02 AM, Chris Edwards wrote:

> Hi
>
> I have a varchar field to search.  There are 5k records.
>
> I'm using: WHERE name LIKE '%outer banks%'
>
> It seems to be very slow.  I was reading about full text searches.
> Maybe I could do something like: WHERE MATCH ('name') AGAINST ('outer
> banks')
>
> I'm looking for a quick way to search.
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions?
>
> Thanks.
>
> --
> Chris Edwards
> Web Application Developer
> Outer Banks Internet, Inc.
> 252-441-6698
> chris.edwards@stripped
> http://www.OuterBanksInternet.com

Brent Baisley
Systems Architect
Landover Associates, Inc.
p: 212.759.6400/800.759.0577

Thread
Re: Re: Select with join query questionvze2spjf28 Jul
RE: Re: Select with join query questionRichard Bolen28 Jul
  • Re: Select with join query questionBruce Feist29 Jul
RE: Select with join query questionRichard Bolen29 Jul
  • Re: Select with join query questionBruce Feist29 Jul
  • text search questionChris Edwards29 Jul
    • Re: text search questionBrent Baisley29 Jul