List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Alex Pilson Date:July 29 2003 5:06am
Subject:Category System schema
View as plain text
Does anyone know the best schema to achieve a multi-level category system?

I need a person to be able to add categories on the fly, but then
also specify sub categories and even possibly sub-categories of
sub-cats. I have found two possible ways inside one table with using
parentID, groupID, etc. But the issue I am now running into is that I
have to sort on groupID to get the items to "group" correctly when
showing in a HTML drop down list. Which means I can't sort
alphabetically. If I do the order is not right...using Lasso 6 with
some looping code to indent the subs in the list. On top of that I
would also like the ability to assign a priority field for listing in
that order as well. There has to be some kind of solution to this
that I don't see.

Any ideas? Thanks!
--
<--------------------------------------------------------------->
     Alex Pilson
     FlagShip Interactive, Inc.
     alex@stripped
<--------------------------------------------------------------->
Thread
How to know the maxmimum length of data in a perticular column?Karam Chand28 Jul
  • Re: How to know the maxmimum length of data in a perticular column?Dan Nelson28 Jul
    • fulltext indexing and query speeds?Niels Larsen28 Jul
      • Re: fulltext indexing and query speeds?Sergei Golubchik28 Jul
    • Re: How to know the maxmimum length of data in a perticular column?Karam Chand29 Jul
      • Category System schemaAlex Pilson29 Jul
        • RE: Category System schemaPeter Lovatt29 Jul
Re: fulltext indexing and query speeds?Sergei Golubchik29 Jul
  • Re: fulltext indexing and query speeds?Niels Larsen29 Jul
    • Re: fulltext indexing and query speeds?Sergei Golubchik30 Jul