List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Sergei Golubchik Date:July 28 2003 10:00pm
Subject:Re: fulltext indexing and query speeds?
View as plain text
Hi!

On Jul 28, Niels Larsen wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> Do anyone know where to find a description of how fulltext indexing
> and query speeds depend on data volume? I have 30-40 gb of text
> distributed across 30-40 million entries, a medium size database I
> suppose. But I have not even been able to test a query yet, because
> indexing is on its second day. Which I think cant be right. I will come
> up with the details if anyone asks, but how long is indexing supposed
> to take on different amounts of data? if there is a way to predict how
> long it will take, then that might work; then we may simply buy a
> machine do nothing but indexing .. assuming the "boolean mode"
> queries finish in "interactive time", ie seconds, not minutes. I use v.
> 4.0.12, but will happily upgrade if indexing becomes faster.

About "indexing is on its second day"...

How is it done ?

You insert data into the table with FULLTEXT index ?
Or you add an index to existing table (with ALTER TABLE or alike) ?
What does SHOW PROCESSLIST shows ?

Regards,
Sergei

--
   __  ___     ___ ____  __
 / /|_/ / // /\ \/ /_/ / /__  MySQL AB, Senior Software Developer
/_/  /_/\_, /___/\___\_\___/  Osnabrueck, Germany
       <___/  www.mysql.com
Thread
How to know the maxmimum length of data in a perticular column?Karam Chand28 Jul
  • Re: How to know the maxmimum length of data in a perticular column?Dan Nelson28 Jul
    • fulltext indexing and query speeds?Niels Larsen28 Jul
      • Re: fulltext indexing and query speeds?Sergei Golubchik28 Jul
    • Re: How to know the maxmimum length of data in a perticular column?Karam Chand29 Jul
      • Category System schemaAlex Pilson29 Jul
        • RE: Category System schemaPeter Lovatt29 Jul
Re: fulltext indexing and query speeds?Sergei Golubchik29 Jul
  • Re: fulltext indexing and query speeds?Niels Larsen29 Jul
    • Re: fulltext indexing and query speeds?Sergei Golubchik30 Jul