List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Niels Larsen Date:July 28 2003 8:21pm
Subject:fulltext indexing and query speeds?
View as plain text
Greetings,

Do anyone know where to find a description of how fulltext indexing
and query speeds depend on data volume? I have 30-40 gb of text
distributed across 30-40 million entries, a medium size database I
suppose. But I have not even been able to test a query yet, because
indexing is on its second day. Which I think cant be right. I will come
up with the details if anyone asks, but how long is indexing supposed
to take on different amounts of data? if there is a way to predict how
long it will take, then that might work; then we may simply buy a
machine do nothing but indexing .. assuming the "boolean mode"
queries finish in "interactive time", ie seconds, not minutes. I use v.
4.0.12, but will happily upgrade if indexing becomes faster.

Niels L

Niels Larsen, Associate Professor
Bioinformatics Research Center (BIRC)
Aarhus University
Hoegh Guldbergsgade 10
DK 8000 Aarhus C
Denmark

How to know the maxmimum length of data in a perticular column?Karam Chand28 Jul
  • Re: How to know the maxmimum length of data in a perticular column?Dan Nelson28 Jul
    • fulltext indexing and query speeds?Niels Larsen28 Jul
      • Re: fulltext indexing and query speeds?Sergei Golubchik28 Jul
    • Re: How to know the maxmimum length of data in a perticular column?Karam Chand29 Jul
      • Category System schemaAlex Pilson29 Jul
        • RE: Category System schemaPeter Lovatt29 Jul
Re: fulltext indexing and query speeds?Sergei Golubchik29 Jul
  • Re: fulltext indexing and query speeds?Niels Larsen29 Jul
    • Re: fulltext indexing and query speeds?Sergei Golubchik30 Jul