List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Paul Chvostek Date:July 23 2003 4:51am
Subject:Re: quotas
View as plain text
On Mon, Jul 21, 2003 at 12:39:59AM -0500, Dan Nelson wrote:

> > > Create symlinks from the mysql data dir to each user's directory:
> > >
> > > /var/db/mysql/user1 -> /home/hostings/user1/data
> > > /var/db/mysql/user2 -> /home/hostings/user2/data
> > >
> > > etc.  Then any table the user creates in their database will end up
> > > in their data dir.
> >
> > That'll put the files in the right directories, but if the quotas are
> > based on file ownership, it won't limit the users' database size,
> > since mysql wants the tables and indices to be owned by the 'mysql'
> > user.
>
> You may be able to use group quotas instead; newly-created files should
> inherit the group ownership from the directory thay're in.
> Unfortunately, users can chgrp files they own to any group they're a
> member of, so they can "cheat" by chgrp'ing large files in their web
> directory to groups like "mysql", or "users".  If they are not members
> of any group other than their own, this will work.

I'm still not sure I'm comfortable with the implications of allowing a
user to have raw write ability to something mysqld relies on.  If the
user renamed his mysql database directory out of the way, would mysql
barf, or just make his database unavailale (and possibly corrupt)?  If
he then created a new directory (and files), could a faulty database
file be put in place that would mysql barf, or just refuse to read the
file?

Too much duct tape.

--
  Paul Chvostek                                             <paul@stripped>