List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Michael Widenius Date:September 28 1999 10:44pm
Subject:Re: Limiting Database Size
View as plain text
>>>>> "Chris" == Chris  <chris@stripped> writes:

Chris> Okay - thanks - I was about to implement this with group quota limits
Chris> forced on the database directories... but this will have the same bad
Chris> effect when the database fills up...

Chris> Can inserts/updates be timed out if waiting too long for a lock...?

No, but you can easily patch MySQL to give an error in case of 'full
disk' instead of waiting for free space...

Fix:

Add at start of mysys/my_write.c

MyFlags&= ~ MY_WAIT_IF_FULL;

Regards,
Monty

Chris> Cheers

Chris> Chris

Chris> Scott Hess wrote:

>> Monty!  Do you want it on your conscience when this guy hurts himself?
>>
>> If you were tempted to put the database directory on a 50M partition, make
>> sure you fully understand what happens when that partition fills up.  My
>> experience with MYSQL indicates that you'll lose access to all tables on
>> that partition.  "Lose access" == the tables will still be there, you just
>> won't be able to access them, because there will soon be a gaggle of
>> threads with write locks on those tables, not succeeding, and spinning
>> waiting for some free space to appear.  Every table that a write goes to
>> will then become unavailable for reading.
>>
>> BTW, if you can't free some space on that partition, your life is going to
>> suck, big time :-).
>>
>> Later,
>> scott

Thread
Limiting Database SizeChris Panayis26 Sep
  • Limiting Database SizeMichael Widenius26 Sep
  • Re: Limiting Database SizeScott Hess27 Sep
    • Re: Limiting Database SizeMichael Widenius29 Sep
  • Re: Limiting Database SizeChris27 Sep
    • Re: Limiting Database SizeMartin Ramsch28 Sep
    • Re: Limiting Database SizeMichael Widenius29 Sep
  • Re: Limiting Database SizeScott Hess28 Sep