List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Marc Antony Vose Date:September 28 1999 7:02pm
Subject:RE: strategies for multiple language sites
View as plain text
> > so i'm interested to know if there's anyone else out there that's
> > using the php/mysql combo like i am and is maintaining a site in
> > multiple languages.
> >
> > i'd like to implement this the most efficient way possible.  any
> > suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
>
>It seems like your case would be very easy because the site is almost
>entirely db driven. Can't you simply move all text decriptions into a
>separate table, marked by language type?
>
>before:
> TABLE game( id INT,  title varchar(255), description TEXT)
>
>after:
> TABLE game( id INT, title varchar(100) )
> TABLE description( game_id INT, language_id INT, decription TEXT,
>                    PRIMARY KEY( game_id, language_id))

how should I handle special characters?  do people generally store
the HTML equivalents?  (é, ü, Å, etc.)

Thread
strategies for multiple language sitesMarc Antony Vose28 Sep
RE: strategies for multiple language sitesJohn Millaway28 Sep
  • RE: strategies for multiple language sitesMarc Antony Vose28 Sep