List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Thimble Smith Date:September 28 1999 6:08pm
Subject:Re: Weird ROUND behaviour
View as plain text
At 17:04, 19990928, Martin Ramsch wrote:
>In my opinion, MySQL should ensure a well-defined behaviour of ROUND()
>regardless of the underlying system!

In my opinion, you shouldn't use ROUND if you need well-defined behaviour.
You can use CEILING, FLOOR and TRUNCATE to get what you really want.  But
I do think it's a bug for the manual to not mention that ROUND is less-
than-reliable (depending on your needs).

I could be convinced that ROUND should be made consistent, maybe.  This
was hashed over at some length (I'm not sure anything really came out
of it, though) last year at about this time:

    http://www.progressive-comp.com/Lists/?t=90824387200003&w=2&d=1&r=1

That discussion did NOT mention OS differences, though.

Tim
Thread
Weird ROUND behaviourJuho Tikkala27 Sep
  • Re: Weird ROUND behaviourPaul DuBois27 Sep
    • Re: Weird ROUND behaviourMartin Ramsch28 Sep
      • Re: Weird ROUND behaviourThimble Smith28 Sep
  • Re: Weird ROUND behaviourSteve Ruby28 Sep
    • Re: Weird ROUND behaviourMartin Ramsch28 Sep
    • Re: Weird ROUND behaviourMichael Widenius29 Sep
      • Re: Weird ROUND behaviourBob Kline29 Sep
        • Re: Weird ROUND behaviourTonu Samuel29 Sep
          • Re: Weird ROUND behaviourJames Manning29 Sep
        • Re: Weird ROUND behaviourScott Hess29 Sep
        • Re: Weird ROUND behaviourTonu Samuel30 Sep
        • Re: Weird ROUND behaviourScott Hess30 Sep
        • Re: Weird ROUND behaviourTonu Samuel30 Sep