List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Martin Ramsch Date:September 28 1999 3:58pm
Subject:Re: Limiting Database Size
View as plain text
On Mon, 1999-09-27 17:27:39 +0100, Chris wrote:
> Okay - thanks - I was about to implement this with group quota limits
> forced on the database directories... but this will have the same bad
> effect when the database fills up...

Most quota systems have both a soft limit and a hard limit, where
going beyond the soft limit only means to get warnings, and only when
the hard limit is reached write access is denied.

Would that be a solution?  With a reasonable wide gap between soft and
hard limit (the hard limit maybe even being the full storage size),
you could easily take advantage of the quota system to warn database
users just in time.  Or maybe even automatically revoke INSERT and
UPDATE rights from such db users.
Have to think about how to implement this most easily ...

Regards,
  Martin
Limiting Database SizeChris Panayis26 Sep
  • Limiting Database SizeMichael Widenius26 Sep
  • Re: Limiting Database SizeScott Hess27 Sep
    • Re: Limiting Database SizeMichael Widenius29 Sep
  • Re: Limiting Database SizeChris27 Sep
    • Re: Limiting Database SizeMartin Ramsch28 Sep
    • Re: Limiting Database SizeMichael Widenius29 Sep
  • Re: Limiting Database SizeScott Hess28 Sep