List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Krasimir_Slaveykov Date:July 10 2003 6:03am
Subject:Re: Can mysql handle this load?
View as plain text
Hello Adam,

AG> I am writing an attendance system in php for my school. We have a
AG> little less then 1000 students. For every day of the school year one
AG> record will be entered into a table for each student representing their
AG> attendance status (present, absent, late, etc...). I also have several
AG> other supporting tables for relationships. When it comes to reporting
AG> and querying this DB I am worried that it will very quickly become very
AG> large and slow. Can mysql handle this? Are there any techniques to
AG> speed it up? I will trying indexing major columns.

AG> I have also considered keeping all previous days attendance in a
AG> separate table from the current days attendance and moving things over
AG> in the middle of the night. This way any operations on the current days
AG> data will go quickly, but reports on long term things will still be
AG> slow. Good idea?

AG> Thanks,
AG> Adam

I think that you are worried for nothing. First of all your database
seems to be small - less than half million records.
The main think that you have to do is to organize your indexes
correctly. I mean this: for good performance and high speed working of
yor database you must have indexes on every field wich you will use in
WHERE clauses or other conditions in your SQL's.

--
Best regards,
 Krasimir_Slaveykov                            mailto:krasi@stripped

Thread
Access deniedAsterix11 Mar
  • Re: Access deniedChristian Mack11 Mar
  • Re: Can mysql handle this load?nospam9 Jul
  • RE: Can mysql handle this load?Andy Eastham9 Jul
  • Re: Can mysql handle this load?Krasimir_Slaveykov10 Jul
  • Left Join - Revistedvernon10 Jul
RE: Can mysql handle this load?Mike Hillyer9 Jul
RE: Can mysql handle this load?Rudy Metzger9 Jul
RE: Can mysql handle this load?Rudy Metzger9 Jul
RE: Can mysql handle this load?Rudy Metzger9 Jul
RE: order of table joins or where clauses relevant?Rudy Metzger10 Jul
RE: Left Join - RevistedRudy Metzger11 Jul
RE: Can mysql handle this load?Rudy Metzger14 Jul