List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Rudy Metzger Date:July 9 2003 3:33pm
Subject:RE: Can mysql handle this load?
View as plain text
MySQL allows only ONE primary key per table, so you can only use one. However, you can
also define UNIQUE INDEXES. The major difference here is that primary key columns may not
contain NULL values, however UNIQUE KEY columns may contain NULL values.

If your question now is: Is it better to use a multi part/column key or split it up in
multiple keys, I would suggest that you always should make the primary key on the lowest
number of columns you can get. So no need to define a primary key on (studentid,gender)
if (studentid) by itself is already unique/primary. Please also note that on multipart
keys the key is only used if you provide at least the leading columns. So on a PK(a,b,c)
the key is not taken when you search for b or c or b and c (but is taken if you search
for a / a,b / a,b,c and even a,c (but then only a is taken).

So to answer your question: it depends on your situation. In general (for 90% of the
cases), make a primary key as short as possible and add indexes as you need them (use
EXPLAIN to see how the optimizer is parsing the kwiri). But keep in mind that although
indexes speed up kwiries (SELECTS) they slow down UPDATES/INSERTS/DELETES.

Cheers
/rudy