List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Michael Widenius Date:April 6 1999 10:09am
Subject:multiple server problems....
View as plain text
>>>>> "Jason" == Jason W <jwatkins@stripped> writes:

Jason> I have a few questions about running  mySQL
Jason> with multiple servers using the same NFS
Jason> mounted data.   I have read the mailing list
Jason> archives about this subject but I still have
Jason> a few questions that need answered.

Jason> We are running Solaris 2.6 servers using a
Jason> NetApp filer for storage.  I'm using mySQL
Jason> to authenticate,  and log accounting info with
Jason> Radiator Radius (currently in testing phase)
Jason> I have noticed  extreme slowness (unusable)
Jason> when  Radiator inserts accounting, and
Jason> session  data.  Is this to be expected??

With NFS you will get a lot of problems because of the lockd daemon!
Under heavy load, you will pay a performance penalty of at least 500 %

Jason> Is anyone doing this that could give me
Jason> info about what kind of performance they
Jason> are experiencing?  The reason why I want
Jason> to do this across multiple servers using the
Jason> same database is because of redundancy,
Jason> having one fast server would be nice, but if
Jason> it dies our users cannot access their service.

In this case it's better to synchronize servers with the update log
and swap servers if the main server dies.

Jason> Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Monty
Thread
multiple server problems....Jason W.5 Apr
  • multiple server problems....Michael Widenius6 Apr