List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:KEITH COMER Date:June 26 2003 8:07pm
Subject:Re: Anyone had a chance to try an Opteron yet?
View as plain text
The G5 may not be all Apple says it is, but then, nothing is what it
seems when it comes to CPU's and performance tests. That said, if anyone
who wants to buy me one when they come out, I won't complain.

Interesting article. get's a bit numberish though.

Keith

>>> Curtis Maurand <curtis@stripped> 06/26/03 04:03PM >>>

I'd be interested to see what happens when MySQL gets run on a G5.
SPECint and SPECfp numbers look very good.  there is an 8GB RAM limit
on
it, though.

Curtis

On Tue, 24 Jun 2003, Jeremy Zawodny wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 24, 2003 at 05:37:24PM -0400, Curtis Maurand wrote:
> >
> > Linux compiled on an opteron and targeted for it will lose the
2-gig
> > process limit.  the 2-gig number is based on a 32 bit integer.  You
now
> > would a have 64 bit integer (5 Quintillion as an unsigned integer.
:-)).

> > Imagine the 10GB database in memory, plus the temp and heap tables
and the
> > indexes.  Lets not forget about the ability to have large heap
tables,
> > too.  Life gets very interesting in the 64 bit space, especially
since
> > IA64's aren't exactly plentiful.  As soon as I can afford one, I'm
buying
> > one.  I'm very interesting.
>
> Yeah, the operton should kick major ass with MySQL and sufficient
> memory. :-)
>
> Jeremy

Curtis Maurand
mailto:curtis@stripped
http://www.maurand.com

Browsing TablesDeosaran Bisnath24 Jun
  • Re: Browsing TablesMojtaba Faridzad24 Jun
  • Re: Browsing Tablesj.urban24 Jun
  • Anyone had a chance to try an Opteron yet?David Griffiths24 Jun
    • Re: Anyone had a chance to try an Opteron yet?Dan Nelson24 Jun
      • Re: Anyone had a chance to try an Opteron yet?Mike Wexler24 Jun
    • Re: Anyone had a chance to try an Opteron yet?Mark Matthews24 Jun
    • Re: Anyone had a chance to try an Opteron yet?Curtis Maurand24 Jun
      • Re: Anyone had a chance to try an Opteron yet?Jeremy Zawodny24 Jun
        • Re: Anyone had a chance to try an Opteron yet?Curtis Maurand26 Jun
    • Re: Anyone had a chance to try an Opteron yet?Lenz Grimmer25 Jun
      • Re: Anyone had a chance to try an Opteron yet?Per Andreas Buer30 Jun
  • Re: Anyone had a chance to try an Opteron yet?David Griffiths24 Jun
  • Re: Anyone had a chance to try an Opteron yet?Michael Conlen24 Jun
    • Re: Anyone had a chance to try an Opteron yet?Gabriel Guzman24 Jun
      • Re: Anyone had a chance to try an Opteron yet?Jeremy Zawodny24 Jun
    • Re: Anyone had a chance to try an Opteron yet?Mike Wexler24 Jun
RE: Anyone had a chance to try an Opteron yet?David Brodbeck25 Jun
Re: Anyone had a chance to try an Opteron yet?KEITH COMER26 Jun