List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Curtis Maurand Date:June 26 2003 8:03pm
Subject:Re: Anyone had a chance to try an Opteron yet?
View as plain text

I'd be interested to see what happens when MySQL gets run on a G5.
SPECint and SPECfp numbers look very good.  there is an 8GB RAM limit on
it, though.

Curtis

On Tue, 24 Jun 2003, Jeremy Zawodny wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 24, 2003 at 05:37:24PM -0400, Curtis Maurand wrote:
> >
> > Linux compiled on an opteron and targeted for it will lose the 2-gig
> > process limit.  the 2-gig number is based on a 32 bit integer.  You now
> > would a have 64 bit integer (5 Quintillion as an unsigned integer. :-)).
> >
> > Imagine the 10GB database in memory, plus the temp and heap tables and the
> > indexes.  Lets not forget about the ability to have large heap tables,
> > too.  Life gets very interesting in the 64 bit space, especially since
> > IA64's aren't exactly plentiful.  As soon as I can afford one, I'm buying
> > one.  I'm very interesting.
>
> Yeah, the operton should kick major ass with MySQL and sufficient
> memory. :-)
>
> Jeremy

Curtis Maurand
mailto:curtis@stripped
http://www.maurand.com

Thread
Browsing TablesDeosaran Bisnath24 Jun
  • Re: Browsing TablesMojtaba Faridzad24 Jun
  • Re: Browsing Tablesj.urban24 Jun
  • Anyone had a chance to try an Opteron yet?David Griffiths24 Jun
    • Re: Anyone had a chance to try an Opteron yet?Dan Nelson24 Jun
      • Re: Anyone had a chance to try an Opteron yet?Mike Wexler24 Jun
    • Re: Anyone had a chance to try an Opteron yet?Mark Matthews24 Jun
    • Re: Anyone had a chance to try an Opteron yet?Curtis Maurand24 Jun
      • Re: Anyone had a chance to try an Opteron yet?Jeremy Zawodny24 Jun
        • Re: Anyone had a chance to try an Opteron yet?Curtis Maurand26 Jun
    • Re: Anyone had a chance to try an Opteron yet?Lenz Grimmer25 Jun
      • Re: Anyone had a chance to try an Opteron yet?Per Andreas Buer30 Jun
  • Re: Anyone had a chance to try an Opteron yet?David Griffiths24 Jun
  • Re: Anyone had a chance to try an Opteron yet?Michael Conlen24 Jun
    • Re: Anyone had a chance to try an Opteron yet?Gabriel Guzman24 Jun
      • Re: Anyone had a chance to try an Opteron yet?Jeremy Zawodny24 Jun
    • Re: Anyone had a chance to try an Opteron yet?Mike Wexler24 Jun
RE: Anyone had a chance to try an Opteron yet?David Brodbeck25 Jun
Re: Anyone had a chance to try an Opteron yet?KEITH COMER26 Jun