List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Jeremy Zawodny Date:June 24 2003 9:43pm
Subject:Re: Anyone had a chance to try an Opteron yet?
View as plain text
On Tue, Jun 24, 2003 at 05:37:24PM -0400, Curtis Maurand wrote:

> Linux compiled on an opteron and targeted for it will lose the 2-gig
> process limit.  the 2-gig number is based on a 32 bit integer.  You now
> would a have 64 bit integer (5 Quintillion as an unsigned integer. :-)).
>
> Imagine the 10GB database in memory, plus the temp and heap tables and the
> indexes.  Lets not forget about the ability to have large heap tables,
> too.  Life gets very interesting in the 64 bit space, especially since
> IA64's aren't exactly plentiful.  As soon as I can afford one, I'm buying
> one.  I'm very interesting.

Yeah, the operton should kick major ass with MySQL and sufficient
memory. :-)

Jeremy
<Jeremy@stripped>  |  http://jeremy.zawodny.com/

MySQL 4.0.13: up 21 days, processed 675,596,767 queries (361/sec. avg)
Thread
Browsing TablesDeosaran Bisnath24 Jun
  • Re: Browsing TablesMojtaba Faridzad24 Jun
  • Re: Browsing Tablesj.urban24 Jun
  • Anyone had a chance to try an Opteron yet?David Griffiths24 Jun
    • Re: Anyone had a chance to try an Opteron yet?Dan Nelson24 Jun
      • Re: Anyone had a chance to try an Opteron yet?Mike Wexler24 Jun
    • Re: Anyone had a chance to try an Opteron yet?Mark Matthews24 Jun
    • Re: Anyone had a chance to try an Opteron yet?Curtis Maurand24 Jun
      • Re: Anyone had a chance to try an Opteron yet?Jeremy Zawodny24 Jun
        • Re: Anyone had a chance to try an Opteron yet?Curtis Maurand26 Jun
    • Re: Anyone had a chance to try an Opteron yet?Lenz Grimmer25 Jun
      • Re: Anyone had a chance to try an Opteron yet?Per Andreas Buer30 Jun
  • Re: Anyone had a chance to try an Opteron yet?David Griffiths24 Jun
  • Re: Anyone had a chance to try an Opteron yet?Michael Conlen24 Jun
    • Re: Anyone had a chance to try an Opteron yet?Gabriel Guzman24 Jun
      • Re: Anyone had a chance to try an Opteron yet?Jeremy Zawodny24 Jun
    • Re: Anyone had a chance to try an Opteron yet?Mike Wexler24 Jun
RE: Anyone had a chance to try an Opteron yet?David Brodbeck25 Jun
Re: Anyone had a chance to try an Opteron yet?KEITH COMER26 Jun