List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Curtis Maurand Date:June 24 2003 9:37pm
Subject:Re: Anyone had a chance to try an Opteron yet?
View as plain text
Linux compiled on an opteron and targeted for it will lose the 2-gig
process limit.  the 2-gig number is based on a 32 bit integer.  You now
would a have 64 bit integer (5 Quintillion as an unsigned integer. :-)).

Imagine the 10GB database in memory, plus the temp and heap tables and the
indexes.  Lets not forget about the ability to have large heap tables,
too.  Life gets very interesting in the 64 bit space, especially since
IA64's aren't exactly plentiful.  As soon as I can afford one, I'm buying
one.  I'm very interesting.

Curtis

On Tue, 24 Jun 2003, David Griffiths wrote:

> I'm surprised there is not more interest in this; is it that not many work
> with large-ish (10+ gig) databases that need high-end performance?
>
> A 64-bit CPU won't have the 4-gig memory limit that a 32-bit processor will;
> even worse, Linux is apparently limited to about a 2-gig process.
>
> SuSe Enterprise Linux supports 512-gigabyte processes with 16 processors.
> Imagine 10 gigabyte database all in memory.
>
> Even better, larger file sizes - no more 2-gig files. Max file size is
> 9-Exabytes ( "9" followed by 18 "0's" ). All the posts I see about people
> trying to get around the 2 gig file limit should be really excitied.
>
> I guess I'm just surprised by lack of interest. I've been bugging our CTO
> once a week about this, and hopefully should have a server on my desk by mid
> summer to late fall.
>
> If you're interested, SuSe has a good PDF on AMD64 and SuSe Enterprise Linux
> 1.0:
>
> http://www.suse.com/en/business/products/server/sles/misc/sles8_amd64.pdf
>

> Anyone have some practical experience with the software and hardware?
>
> David.

Curtis Maurand
mailto:curtis@stripped
http://www.maurand.com

Thread
Browsing TablesDeosaran Bisnath24 Jun
  • Re: Browsing TablesMojtaba Faridzad24 Jun
  • Re: Browsing Tablesj.urban24 Jun
  • Anyone had a chance to try an Opteron yet?David Griffiths24 Jun
    • Re: Anyone had a chance to try an Opteron yet?Dan Nelson24 Jun
      • Re: Anyone had a chance to try an Opteron yet?Mike Wexler24 Jun
    • Re: Anyone had a chance to try an Opteron yet?Mark Matthews24 Jun
    • Re: Anyone had a chance to try an Opteron yet?Curtis Maurand24 Jun
      • Re: Anyone had a chance to try an Opteron yet?Jeremy Zawodny24 Jun
        • Re: Anyone had a chance to try an Opteron yet?Curtis Maurand26 Jun
    • Re: Anyone had a chance to try an Opteron yet?Lenz Grimmer25 Jun
      • Re: Anyone had a chance to try an Opteron yet?Per Andreas Buer30 Jun
  • Re: Anyone had a chance to try an Opteron yet?David Griffiths24 Jun
  • Re: Anyone had a chance to try an Opteron yet?Michael Conlen24 Jun
    • Re: Anyone had a chance to try an Opteron yet?Gabriel Guzman24 Jun
      • Re: Anyone had a chance to try an Opteron yet?Jeremy Zawodny24 Jun
    • Re: Anyone had a chance to try an Opteron yet?Mike Wexler24 Jun
RE: Anyone had a chance to try an Opteron yet?David Brodbeck25 Jun
Re: Anyone had a chance to try an Opteron yet?KEITH COMER26 Jun