List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Mike Wexler Date:June 24 2003 7:36pm
Subject:Re: Anyone had a chance to try an Opteron yet?
View as plain text
Not necessarily. People that need relatively affordable 64 bit systems
may be waiting for the Opteron to stabilize. My experience is the Wintel
solutions (like Opteron) tend to have at least a 2-1 price performance
over Sun and Dec. Also, given that HP has basically dropped Alpha, I
don't think a lot of people are likely to be implementing that platform.

Dan Nelson wrote:

>In the last episode (Jun 24), David Griffiths said:
>

>>I'm surprised there is not more interest in this; is it that not many
>>work with large-ish (10+ gig) databases that need high-end
>>performance?
>>

>I think we have a mysql database running on Tru64, and I'm sure it runs
>great on Solaris.  My guess is the people that needed over 2gb of RAM
>have switched to 64-bit CPUs long ago.

Thread
Browsing TablesDeosaran Bisnath24 Jun
  • Re: Browsing TablesMojtaba Faridzad24 Jun
  • Re: Browsing Tablesj.urban24 Jun
  • Anyone had a chance to try an Opteron yet?David Griffiths24 Jun
    • Re: Anyone had a chance to try an Opteron yet?Dan Nelson24 Jun
      • Re: Anyone had a chance to try an Opteron yet?Mike Wexler24 Jun
    • Re: Anyone had a chance to try an Opteron yet?Mark Matthews24 Jun
    • Re: Anyone had a chance to try an Opteron yet?Curtis Maurand24 Jun
      • Re: Anyone had a chance to try an Opteron yet?Jeremy Zawodny24 Jun
        • Re: Anyone had a chance to try an Opteron yet?Curtis Maurand26 Jun
    • Re: Anyone had a chance to try an Opteron yet?Lenz Grimmer25 Jun
      • Re: Anyone had a chance to try an Opteron yet?Per Andreas Buer30 Jun
  • Re: Anyone had a chance to try an Opteron yet?David Griffiths24 Jun
  • Re: Anyone had a chance to try an Opteron yet?Michael Conlen24 Jun
    • Re: Anyone had a chance to try an Opteron yet?Gabriel Guzman24 Jun
      • Re: Anyone had a chance to try an Opteron yet?Jeremy Zawodny24 Jun
    • Re: Anyone had a chance to try an Opteron yet?Mike Wexler24 Jun
RE: Anyone had a chance to try an Opteron yet?David Brodbeck25 Jun
Re: Anyone had a chance to try an Opteron yet?KEITH COMER26 Jun