List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:David Griffiths Date:June 24 2003 7:32pm
Subject:Re: Anyone had a chance to try an Opteron yet?
View as plain text
Excellent point. How does MySQL run on Tru64? Any familiarity with it on
Intel32?

But there are some big drawbacks to these platforms:

- they only run apps that have been specifically ported and compiled for
them. The Opteron runs the same 32-bit code that an Athalon or Pentium class
computer will run. Ports aren't always available, and they can lag behind
w/regards to the versions available. Ports can be buggier as well.

- Those systems are expensive. Opteron hardware is relatively cheap ($1000
for a motherboard and two processors), and much of the hardware is generic
(no super-expensive RAM from Sun). Because the hardware is generic, you have
more options at a lower price point. I'm not sure how a 32-bit IDE RAID
driver would do in a 64-bit version of Linux. If a 64-bit driver is needed,
then there might be some issues.

- This is new hardware. People who work with computers like new toys. They
like to set them up, test them, and then tell everyone what they thought.

Anyway, hopefully someone will have some insight.

David