List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:David Griffiths Date:June 24 2003 5:59pm
Subject:Anyone had a chance to try an Opteron yet?
View as plain text
I'm surprised there is not more interest in this; is it that not many work
with large-ish (10+ gig) databases that need high-end performance?

A 64-bit CPU won't have the 4-gig memory limit that a 32-bit processor will;
even worse, Linux is apparently limited to about a 2-gig process.

SuSe Enterprise Linux supports 512-gigabyte processes with 16 processors.
Imagine 10 gigabyte database all in memory.

Even better, larger file sizes - no more 2-gig files. Max file size is
9-Exabytes ( "9" followed by 18 "0's" ). All the posts I see about people
trying to get around the 2 gig file limit should be really excitied.

I guess I'm just surprised by lack of interest. I've been bugging our CTO
once a week about this, and hopefully should have a server on my desk by mid
summer to late fall.

If you're interested, SuSe has a good PDF on AMD64 and SuSe Enterprise Linux
1.0:

http://www.suse.com/en/business/products/server/sles/misc/sles8_amd64.pdf

Anyone have some practical experience with the software and hardware?

David.
Thread
Browsing TablesDeosaran Bisnath24 Jun
  • Re: Browsing TablesMojtaba Faridzad24 Jun
  • Re: Browsing Tablesj.urban24 Jun
  • Anyone had a chance to try an Opteron yet?David Griffiths24 Jun
    • Re: Anyone had a chance to try an Opteron yet?Dan Nelson24 Jun
      • Re: Anyone had a chance to try an Opteron yet?Mike Wexler24 Jun
    • Re: Anyone had a chance to try an Opteron yet?Mark Matthews24 Jun
    • Re: Anyone had a chance to try an Opteron yet?Curtis Maurand24 Jun
      • Re: Anyone had a chance to try an Opteron yet?Jeremy Zawodny24 Jun
        • Re: Anyone had a chance to try an Opteron yet?Curtis Maurand26 Jun
    • Re: Anyone had a chance to try an Opteron yet?Lenz Grimmer25 Jun
      • Re: Anyone had a chance to try an Opteron yet?Per Andreas Buer30 Jun
  • Re: Anyone had a chance to try an Opteron yet?David Griffiths24 Jun
  • Re: Anyone had a chance to try an Opteron yet?Michael Conlen24 Jun
    • Re: Anyone had a chance to try an Opteron yet?Gabriel Guzman24 Jun
      • Re: Anyone had a chance to try an Opteron yet?Jeremy Zawodny24 Jun
    • Re: Anyone had a chance to try an Opteron yet?Mike Wexler24 Jun
RE: Anyone had a chance to try an Opteron yet?David Brodbeck25 Jun
Re: Anyone had a chance to try an Opteron yet?KEITH COMER26 Jun