List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Michael Widenius Date:September 25 1999 3:25pm
Subject:Re: "ERROR 2002" or "I promise I'm not just stupid." or "why would
mysql care who i'm logged in as?"
View as plain text

Bob> On Fri, 24 Sep 1999, Paul DuBois wrote:
>> At 1:40 PM -0500 9/24/99, nathaniel c. daiger wrote:
>> >so i've been using mysql for a while and it's great, ra ra ra and all, but
>> > recently it started acting weird.
>> >
>> >when a normal user tries to use the mysql client on the localhost's server,
> it
>> > says "ERROR 2002 blah blah".
>> >
>> >BUT, if i su to root, and then try to connect as the same user (on the
>> > localhost, using mysq.sock), it works.
>> >
>> >why in god's name would mysql care what user i'm logged in as?
>>
>> Because your default MySQL user name if you don't specify one is your
>> UNIX login name.  It sounds like you're not specifying a user name when
>> you run mysql.

Bob> I suspect that this may not be the problem, because error 2002 is
Bob> CR_CONNECTION_ERROR, and I'm assuming that mysql would distinguish
Bob> between connecting and logging in to the database.  A Permissions
Bob> problem somewhere?

>> Is the behavior you're describing above different than it used to be
>> somehow?

Bob> Probably so, given his first sentence ("... using mysql for a while ...
Bob> great ... but recently it starting acting weird").

Bob> It might (or might not) be helpful to know what "blah blah" really was
Bob> in the quote of the error message.  On more than one occasion I've
Bob> wished there was a comprehensive list of every error number which the
Bob> dbms reports, with at least a modest explanation.  Questions get posted
Bob> which cite a number with no error description, and it would be helpful
Bob> to have something authoritative to refer to, as a starting point at
Bob> least.

Hi!

I have include such a error message list with this message. I shall
add it to the standard MySQL distribution!

Regards,
Monty

Thread
"ERROR 2002" or "I promise I'm not just stupid." or "why would mysql care who i'm logged in as?"nathaniel c. daiger24 Sep
  • Re: "ERROR 2002" or "I promise I'm not just stupid." or "whywould mysql care who i'm logged in as?"Paul DuBois24 Sep
    • Re: "ERROR 2002" or "I promise I'm not just stupid." or "why wouldmysql care who i'm logged in as?"Bob Kline24 Sep
      • Re: "ERROR 2002" or "I promise I'm not just stupid." or "why wouldmysql care who i'm logged in as?"Michael Widenius25 Sep
Re: "ERROR 2002" or "I promise I'm not just stupid." or "whywould mysql care who i'm logged in as?"nathaniel c. daiger24 Sep
  • Re: "ERROR 2002" or "I promise I'm not just stupid." or "whywouldmysql care who i'm logged in as?"Paul DuBois24 Sep
Re: "ERROR 2002" or "I promise I'm not just stupid." or "whywouldmysql care who i'm logged in as?"nathaniel c. daiger24 Sep
  • Re: "ERROR 2002" or "I promise I'm not just stupid." or "whywouldmysql care who i'm logged in as?"Michael Widenius25 Sep
Re: "ERROR 2002" or "I promise I'm not just stupid." or "why wouldmysql care who i'm logged in as?"nathaniel c. daiger24 Sep
  • Re: "ERROR 2002" or "I promise I'm not just stupid." or "why wouldmysqlcare who i'm logged in as?"Bob Kline24 Sep
Re: "ERROR 2002" or "I promise I'm not just stupid." or "why wouldmysql care who i'm logged in as?"nathaniel c. daiger25 Sep
  • Re: "ERROR 2002" or "I promise I'm not just stupid." or "why wouldmysql care who i'm logged in as?"Dan Nelson25 Sep
  • Re: "ERROR 2002" or "I promise I'm not just stupid." or "why wouldmysqlcare who i'm logged in as?"Bob Kline25 Sep
    • Re: "ERROR 2002" or "I promise I'm not just stupid." or "why wouldmysqlcare who i'm logged in as?"Bob Kline25 Sep