List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Michael Widenius Date:September 25 1999 3:34pm
Subject:Re: "ERROR 2002" or "I promise I'm not just stupid." or "whywouldmysql care who i'm logged in as?"
View as plain text

>> Well, lessee.  Yes, it looks like you should be able to connect with that
>> first command.  Do you have a ~/.my.cnf file that's specifying some
>> other user name, by chance?

nathaniel> no, this is definitely not it. it really doesn't matter what mysql name i
nathaniel>  use....just the unix name. i can connect as root w/ any mysql name, but it
nathaniel>  won't work when i'm logged in as a normal user. it's not specific to the
> unix
nathaniel>  name nate or the mysql name nate. why would i need to be root to connect?

nathaniel> i'm pretty sure this isn't like some sort of mysql security thing. unless
> of
nathaniel>  course you can tell mysql not to let a user connect unless he/she is
nathaniel>  priviliedged (in unix)....can you do that?

nathaniel> other stuff: i can't do something like this: [nate@host] $ mysql -u root -p

nathaniel> it doesn't matter what mysql name i give (even mysql's root account.) if i'm
> not
nathaniel>  unix root, i can't CONNECT to mysql. and the error isn't like "HEY! you're
> not
nathaniel>  allowed to connect!" it's more like "i don't know how to connect!"

nathaniel> and as far as i know, the error 2002 thing has mostly been related to dumb
nathaniel>  people doing a bad install from an rpm.

nathaniel> i'm not dumb, didn't use an rpm, and this used to be a working mysql install
> (we
nathaniel>  stopped using the machine as our sql server and moved the db's to a new
nathaniel>  machine, but nowi'm setting up the broken machine to be a dev server.
> except
nathaniel>  now mysql seems to be broken.)

Hi!

When you are logged in as root, please do the following:

mysqladmin ver

This will list something like:

UNIX socket             /tmp/mysql.sock

What is the mode of this file?  Please mail the result of:

ls -l /tmp/mysql.sock

Does the following work (as a normal user):

mysqladmin -h 'your-hostname' ver

By the way;  What MySQL version and OS are you using and how did you
compile MySQL. Please respond with the mysqlbug script!

Regards,
Monty
Thread
"ERROR 2002" or "I promise I'm not just stupid." or "why would mysql care who i'm logged in as?"nathaniel c. daiger24 Sep
  • Re: "ERROR 2002" or "I promise I'm not just stupid." or "whywould mysql care who i'm logged in as?"Paul DuBois24 Sep
    • Re: "ERROR 2002" or "I promise I'm not just stupid." or "why wouldmysql care who i'm logged in as?"Bob Kline24 Sep
      • Re: "ERROR 2002" or "I promise I'm not just stupid." or "why wouldmysql care who i'm logged in as?"Michael Widenius25 Sep
Re: "ERROR 2002" or "I promise I'm not just stupid." or "whywould mysql care who i'm logged in as?"nathaniel c. daiger24 Sep
  • Re: "ERROR 2002" or "I promise I'm not just stupid." or "whywouldmysql care who i'm logged in as?"Paul DuBois24 Sep
Re: "ERROR 2002" or "I promise I'm not just stupid." or "whywouldmysql care who i'm logged in as?"nathaniel c. daiger24 Sep
  • Re: "ERROR 2002" or "I promise I'm not just stupid." or "whywouldmysql care who i'm logged in as?"Michael Widenius25 Sep
Re: "ERROR 2002" or "I promise I'm not just stupid." or "why wouldmysql care who i'm logged in as?"nathaniel c. daiger24 Sep
  • Re: "ERROR 2002" or "I promise I'm not just stupid." or "why wouldmysqlcare who i'm logged in as?"Bob Kline24 Sep
Re: "ERROR 2002" or "I promise I'm not just stupid." or "why wouldmysql care who i'm logged in as?"nathaniel c. daiger25 Sep
  • Re: "ERROR 2002" or "I promise I'm not just stupid." or "why wouldmysql care who i'm logged in as?"Dan Nelson25 Sep
  • Re: "ERROR 2002" or "I promise I'm not just stupid." or "why wouldmysqlcare who i'm logged in as?"Bob Kline25 Sep
    • Re: "ERROR 2002" or "I promise I'm not just stupid." or "why wouldmysqlcare who i'm logged in as?"Bob Kline25 Sep