List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Matthias Pigulla Date:April 5 1999 4:39pm
Subject:Split up tables to achieve fixed-size records?
View as plain text
Hi folks,

I'm trying to design a MySQL database to be accessible as performant as
possible.

Core of the system is a table to store plain texts, among other data
consisting of a headline and a body. All data except the body can be
arranged to have a fixed size.

Now, I'm unsure wheter to put all the data into one table, causing
variable length records, or wheter to have a separate table for the
bodies and a "fixed record size" table for the other stuff?

Whenever I want to retrieve a text, I would have to join both tables.
The text pool will become fairly large, but SELECTS with text bodies
will always get only one text via an unique ID.

I then have a second type of selects, retrieving only headlines, ordered
by a timestamp (ie the latest n headlines).

Would my database - especially the second query type - benefit from
fixed size records?

Matthias
--
   w e b f a c t o r y | matthias pigulla