List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Mojtaba Faridzad Date:June 9 2003 5:13pm
Subject:Fw: 2 questions about indexing and testing speed
View as plain text
Hi,

I'm learning MySQL and I got two question:

1) As I know, MySQL has a buffer to keep the last records which have been retreived. So if
I run a query two times, the second time will be faster. How can I temporarly stop this
service? because I want to run different queries and compare their speed and find the
best solution for a problem.

2) A table has 2 fields, Active CHAR(1), and Company CHAR(40). Sometimes I want to search
a company name and sometimes I want to search an active company. For faster searching, do
I need to create two index like these:
CREATE INDEX active ON customer (CONCAT(active, company));
CREATE INDEX company ON customer (company);

If I create just the first index, do I still have a fast searching on company name (
without mentioning Active )?  like this:
SELECT * FROM customer WHERE company = 'my test company';

Thanks
Thread
Fw: 2 questions about indexing and testing speedMojtaba Faridzad9 Jun
  • arrangement of fields in a tableMojtaba Faridzad9 Jun
    • Re: arrangement of fields in a tableJeremy Zawodny9 Jun
    • Re: arrangement of fields in a tableNils Valentin10 Jun
  • Re: Fw: 2 questions about indexing and testing speedVictoria Reznichenko10 Jun
Re: Fw: 2 questions about indexing and testing speedrich johnson10 Jun
  • INT typeMojtaba Faridzad10 Jun
    • Re: INT typeDan Nelson10 Jun
RE: INT typeMike Hillyer10 Jun
  • Re: INT typeMojtaba Faridzad10 Jun