List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Ed Carp Date:March 12 1999 7:24pm
Subject:Re: sort of defragmentation?
View as plain text
>Yes, but all DELETE/UPDATE without dependencies would also have to look
into the dependencies table, and that's an extra overhead.

Well, yes, but you'd gain integrity. :)  There's no way to do it without
having extra overhead.

>Also I have a running application, which uses dependencies between two
databases.
>They wouldn't be handeled this way. This would lead to do it myself on some
queries
>and let it do mysql on others. Not very transparent.

If the table were global and database_name fields were added, it'd work.
Also, you want to be able to turn it on and off.

>I think when stored procedures are out in mysql, you could do such things
if you need it.
>Till then be patient :)

I'm scratching my head- what do stored procedures have to do with integrity?
Triggers would help, because mysql could set up internal triggers to check
the integrity itself - is this what you meant?

Thread
sort of defragmentation?Mike Otto11 Mar
  • Re: sort of defragmentation?kalle volkov11 Mar
  • Re: sort of defragmentation?Christian Mack11 Mar
    • Re: sort of defragmentation?Charles Kirby11 Mar
      • Re: sort of defragmentation?Sasha Pachev11 Mar
        • Re: sort of defragmentation?Charles Kirby11 Mar
          • Re: sort of defragmentation?Sasha Pachev11 Mar
            • Re: sort of defragmentation?Charles Kirby11 Mar
              • Splitting query results among machines?Brian Bray11 Mar
                • RE: Splitting query results among machines?Brett Error11 Mar
  • SIGSEV using Mysql++Sander Pilon26 Aug
Re: sort of defragmentation?Ed Carp11 Mar
  • Re: sort of defragmentation?Sasha Pachev11 Mar
Re: sort of defragmentation?Ed Carp11 Mar
  • Re: sort of defragmentation?Christian Mack12 Mar
Re: Splitting query results among machines?Fred Lindberg11 Mar
Re: sort of defragmentation?Ed Carp12 Mar
Re: sort of defragmentation?Christian Mack13 Mar
Re: sort of defragmentation?Ed Carp13 Mar