List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:trogers Date:June 1 2003 7:59pm
Subject:Re: Inserting data?
View as plain text
I'd be glad to share.. you mean what the db is supposed to be?  Ok,
there are 3 tables:
table1 = people, people_id = primary key
table2 = machines, machines_id = primary key
One person can have many machines, one machine can only be assigned to
one person.
The way I was taught, in my limited education, was simply to have, say,
the people_id also appear in table2 as a Foreign Key, that tis would
serve to relate the tables.  Now I've been advised that the way to do
this is NOT like that, but to have a third, linking, table where there
are 2 fields: one is the people_id (primary key from table1) and the
other is the machines_id (primary key from table2).

I was asking how to write a SQL statement to populate that third table
from the data already in/from the other 2.

Any other comments about this are welcome.

Thanks,
Ted

On Sunday, June 1, 2003, at 10:53 AM, Becoming Digital wrote:

> You need a constraint on the data to be inserted into the second
> table.  Care to
> share what that is supposed to be?
>
> Edward Dudlik
> Becoming Digital
> www.becomingdigital.com

Thread
indexes question(Daniel Rossi)1 Jun
  • Re: indexes questionDan Nelson1 Jun
    • Re: indexes questiondaniel1 Jun
      • Re: indexes questionDan Nelson1 Jun
  • Inserting data?trogers1 Jun
    • Re: Inserting data?Becoming Digital1 Jun
      • Re: Inserting data?trogers1 Jun
        • Re: Inserting data?Becoming Digital2 Jun
          • Re: becoming unconfusedtrogers2 Jun
            • Re: becoming unconfusedBecoming Digital2 Jun
              • Re: becoming unconfusedtrogers2 Jun
              • Re: becoming unconfusedtrogers2 Jun
          • Re: Inserting data?Nils Valentin2 Jun