List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Dan Nelson Date:May 24 2003 6:02pm
Subject:Re: Slow queries on 4.0.13, FreeBSD 4.8 STABLE, linuxthreads, zawodny blog
View as plain text
In the last episode (May 24), Egor Egorov said:
> LS <alphafoo@stripped> wrote:
> > The server is handling 800qps, and the slow query log is showing
> > hundreds of cases where trivial unrelated INSERT DELAYED queries
> > are being held up for 2 seconds. Is there something else I need to
> > do to get these slow queries to go away?
>
> Well, according to Jeremy, you need either:
>  - Linux
>  - FreeBSD 5.0

Or FreeBSD 4 + LinuxThreads.  Kernel threads won't be available in
FreeBSD 5.1 either; there are still stability issues.

> But I would suggest you to keep out of INSERT DELAYED. Personally I
> had no success with them even on Linux. INSERT DELAYED may stay in
> queue forever due to it's nature.

That I'm not so sure about.  Doesn't INSERT DELAYED just spawn another
thread to do the INSERT that runs at regular priority?  You may be
thinking of INSERT LOW_PRIORITY, which will wait until all other
SELECTS and INSERTS have completed.  DELAYED is more like an
asynchronous INSERT.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson@stripped
        • Re: Slow queries on 4.0.13, FreeBSD 4.8 STABLE, linuxthreads, zawodny blogLS24 May
          • Re: Slow queries on 4.0.13, FreeBSD 4.8 STABLE, linuxthreads, zawodny blogDan Nelson24 May
  • Re: Slow queries on 4.0.13, FreeBSD 4.8 STABLE, linuxthreads, zawodny blogEgor Egorov24 May
    • Re: Slow queries on 4.0.13, FreeBSD 4.8 STABLE, linuxthreads, zawodny blogDan Nelson24 May
      • Re: Slow queries on 4.0.13, FreeBSD 4.8 STABLE, linuxthreads, zawodny blogJeremy Zawodny25 May
        • Re: Slow queries on 4.0.13, FreeBSD 4.8 STABLE, linuxthreads, zawodny blogLS25 May