List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:David Shugarts Date:May 24 2003 2:23pm

I know this is, like, a revolutionary idea, but how about crafting software
that does what people want?

You seem to be making excuses for What Is, instead of seeing What Could Be,
and making it happen.

Aren't you guys supposed to be good at that? If you can't actually do it
yourself, maybe you would be good at telling the smart guys in charge that
IT IS WHAT THE PEOPLE WANT.

--Dave Shugarts

> David Shugarts wrote:
>
>> The people that are going to be snide and nasty to newbies should go off
>> into their cave and consort together. Maybe they will appreciate being
>> bullied and insulted if it is done by "experts."
>>

> Want a good example?  That reply was sent by hitting 'reply' to send it
> directly to Jeremy.  However, Jeremy has reply-to: set to the list so my
> private reply to him went directly to the list instead.
>
> Good example :-)  I'm suitably embarassed, but your response is good
> nonetheless.
>
>> Too many messages are getting snarly-ass replies that don't help the
>> seeker-of-wisdom. If you are such smart guys, prove it and answer the
>> questions in a helpful way!
>>

> I've given numerous examples and URLs over the last 3 years ... feel
> free to look them up; some of them this week.
>
>> People are telling you that you have the list set up to respond wrong, from
>> the predominant view of how a list should work. You go to some arcane
>> references to prove how wrong they are, instead of just fixing it.
>>

> Arcane?
>
> The Internet's strength is in following the RFCs that make everything
> intercompatible.  I'm not sure why you think RFC 822 is arcane, but
> perhaps its because you don't understand how it works.
>
> An RFC is gven for how a service should operate (822 is for E-mail).
> That RFC is then implemented by various programs so that they can all
> work together.  The RFC is maintained and updated and if everyone
> ratifies it, it becomes an Internet Standard (which is mentionned at the
> top of the RFC, with its appropriate number).
>
> If people "just changed" things so they "just worked" for one person, it
> would break services for the other person.  Please at least read the
> URLs I gave yesterday before bothering to reply to this; I don't feel
> like typing the same thing over and over again.
>
>> the same complaints month after month. Who is being more stupid here, the
>> newbies or the "experts"?
>>

> Neither; the software companies like Microsoft who make software however
> they feel like and don't bother providing the features those newbies
> want.  Experts are smart enough to switch to more intelligent software
> whereas newbies are frustrated by what they see as a list inefficiency
> that is in fact caused by Microsoft (or the creator of whatever package
> they use).

Thread
ASP and MySQLHekuran Vokshi18 May
Re: ASP and MySQLMyLists19 May
RE: ASP and MySQLMike Hillyer20 May
  • MySQL stupid mailing list formatWilliam IT20 May
    • RE: MySQL stupid mailing list formatDaevid Vincent21 May
      • RE: MySQL stupid mailing list formatPeter Monk21 May
    • Re: MySQL stupid mailing list formatMichael Satterwhite21 May
    • Re: MySQL stupid mailing list formatJoel Rees21 May
    • RE: MySQL stupid mailing list formatFred Whipple22 May
      • Re: MySQL stupid mailing list formatDavid Shugarts22 May
        • Re: [OT] Mailing list reply-to mungingMichael T. Babcock22 May
      • RE: MySQL stupid mailing list formatDon Read22 May
        • [OT]Re: MySQL stupid mailing list formatJoel Rees23 May
  • Re: MySQL stupid mailing list formatgerald_clark20 May
  • Re: MySQL stupid mailing list formatMichael T. Babcock21 May
  • Re: MySQL stupid mailing list formatMichael T. Babcock21 May
RE: MySQL stupid mailing list formatMike Hillyer21 May
RE: MySQL stupid mailing list formatAndrew Braithwaite21 May
  • Not again... (Re: MySQL stupid mailing list format)Jeremy Zawodny21 May
    • Re: Not again... (Re: MySQL stupid mailing list format)Chris Kelch21 May
    • Re: Not again... (Re: MySQL stupid mailing list format)Michael T. Babcock22 May
Re: Not again... (Re: MySQL stupid mailing list format)Michael T. Babcock23 May
  • Re: Not again... (Re: MySQL stupid mailing list format)David Shugarts24 May
    • Re: Not again... (Re: MySQL stupid mailing list format)Roman Neuhauser24 May
RE: MySQL stupid mailing list formatDavid Brodbeck23 May
  • Re: MySQL stupid mailing list formatPhillip Blancher - Ontario Web23 May
    • Symbolic Link on MySQL 4.0.13Roberto Slepetys Ferreira23 May
      • Re: Symbolic Link on MySQL 4.0.13Victoria Reznichenko24 May
    • Re: Symbolic Link on MySQL 4.0.13Roberto Slepetys24 May