List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Paul DuBois Date:May 24 2003 3:55am
Subject:Re: select into outfile including column names
View as plain text
At 15:55 +0100 5/23/03, R.Dobson wrote:
>Hi,
>I'm using 'select into outfile' in a perl cgi script. The data is
>dumped onto the users local machine in the form of a .csv .xls.
>
>I'm a little rusty, but I can't remember whether I can't include the
>column names in the dumped results.
>
>Can you do this with 'select into outfile'?
>
>thanks
>Rich

No.  Column names are part of the metadata.  When you see those while
running a client such as the mysql program, that's because the client
is displaying them.  With SELECT ... INTO OUTFILE, the client never
sees the data because the server dumps the data (and only the data,
not the metadata) into the output file.

--
Paul DuBois
http://www.kitebird.com/