List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Michael T. Babcock Date:May 22 2003 7:33pm
On Thu, May 22, 2003 at 10:53:56AM -0400, David Shugarts wrote:
> I am a member of about six or eight lists and I operate two myself. The only
> ones that DON'T reply to the list are this MySQL list and the PHP list. Most
> of my list members that I support (non-technical people, mainly) came to the
> particular list believing that this is what is meant by a mailing list.

May I ask how many of those are Yahoo or other bulk-hosted mailing lists?

This has been debated ad nauseum, but the issue remains standards:

If your software doesn't support the feature you want, nag the company until
it does.  In this case, I'm assuming you don't have the ability to reply to
the well-specified List address in the mailing headers with a single button
or hotkey in your software.  I, on the other hand, simply hit 'l' to reply
to the list instead of to the sender.

The first time you try to send a private reply to a person on a mailing list
that !@#'s up reply-to:'s, you'll curse those settings as well.  Not to
mention the ones that mangle sender: or from: addresses so as to change how
vacation and bounce software work.

'Reply-To:' is for the user to configure what E-mail address to use in replies.
'From:' is to specify who sent the message.

Neither is to specify a mailing list.

Last I checked, even on Outlook Express (probably the worst E-mail software
ever written), its a simple matter to add an address called 'mysql' that
points to the list so that the exact keystrokes required to reply to the list
would be:

^R (open reply window)
'mysql' <TAB><TAB> (get out of To:, get out of Subject:)
* type message

However, this has been debated by much more important people than myself; feel
free to read the mailing list archives for the standard reply from those who
run this list or take a look at:

	 - An almost famous text on why not to change reply-to
	http://www.mindspring.com/~pwiseman/reply-to.html
	 - More details on why not to change it, citing the article above.
	http://russnelson.com/rt.html
	 - A very short treatise on the subject, including suggestions

And for the sake of proving I've read pro-munging texts as well:

	http://www.metasystema.org/essays/reply-to-useful.mhtml
	 - Bases most of its arguments on 'minimal bandwidth'.

--
Michael T. Babcock
CTO, FibreSpeed Ltd.     (Hosting, Security, Consultation, Database, etc)

ASP and MySQLHekuran Vokshi18 May
Re: ASP and MySQLMyLists19 May
RE: ASP and MySQLMike Hillyer20 May
  • MySQL stupid mailing list formatWilliam IT20 May
    • RE: MySQL stupid mailing list formatDaevid Vincent21 May
      • RE: MySQL stupid mailing list formatPeter Monk21 May
    • Re: MySQL stupid mailing list formatMichael Satterwhite21 May
    • Re: MySQL stupid mailing list formatJoel Rees21 May
    • RE: MySQL stupid mailing list formatFred Whipple22 May
      • Re: MySQL stupid mailing list formatDavid Shugarts22 May
        • Re: [OT] Mailing list reply-to mungingMichael T. Babcock22 May
      • RE: MySQL stupid mailing list formatDon Read22 May
        • [OT]Re: MySQL stupid mailing list formatJoel Rees23 May
  • Re: MySQL stupid mailing list formatgerald_clark20 May
  • Re: MySQL stupid mailing list formatMichael T. Babcock21 May
  • Re: MySQL stupid mailing list formatMichael T. Babcock21 May
RE: MySQL stupid mailing list formatMike Hillyer21 May
RE: MySQL stupid mailing list formatAndrew Braithwaite21 May
  • Not again... (Re: MySQL stupid mailing list format)Jeremy Zawodny21 May
    • Re: Not again... (Re: MySQL stupid mailing list format)Chris Kelch21 May
    • Re: Not again... (Re: MySQL stupid mailing list format)Michael T. Babcock22 May
Re: Not again... (Re: MySQL stupid mailing list format)Michael T. Babcock23 May
  • Re: Not again... (Re: MySQL stupid mailing list format)David Shugarts24 May
    • Re: Not again... (Re: MySQL stupid mailing list format)Roman Neuhauser24 May
RE: MySQL stupid mailing list formatDavid Brodbeck23 May
  • Re: MySQL stupid mailing list formatPhillip Blancher - Ontario Web23 May
    • Symbolic Link on MySQL 4.0.13Roberto Slepetys Ferreira23 May
      • Re: Symbolic Link on MySQL 4.0.13Victoria Reznichenko24 May
    • Re: Symbolic Link on MySQL 4.0.13Roberto Slepetys24 May