List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Don Read Date:May 22 2003 7:24pm
On 22-May-2003 Fred Whipple wrote:
> It's funny!  I just replied "offline" to a prevoius post, as I'm on a
> train
> right now, and they'll send out when I get home.  However having just
> read
> this message, I realized that my previous suggestion to someone else did
> not
> go to the list, rather just the original poster.  So I could still go
> into
> my outbox and change it.
>
> That said, I will offer my vote to change the settings such that From:
> and/or ReplyTo: are set to the list address :-)
>
>     -Fred Whipple
>      iMagine Internet Services

That would be wrong.

http://www.zvon.org/tmRFC/RFC2822/Output/chapter3.html#reply-to

" The originator fields indicate the mailbox(es) of the source of the
message. The "From:" field specifies the author(s) of the message, that is,
the mailbox(es) of the person(s) or system(s) responsible for the writing
of the message. The "Sender:" field specifies the mailbox of the agent
responsible for the actual transmission of the message. For example, if a
secretary were to send a message for another person, the mailbox of the
secretary would appear in the "Sender:" field and the mailbox of the actual
author would appear in the "From:" field. If the originator of the message
can be indicated by a single mailbox and the author and transmitter are
identical, the "Sender:" field SHOULD NOT be used. Otherwise, both fields
SHOULD appear.

The originator fields also provide the information required when
replying to a message. When the "Reply-To:" field is present, it indicates
the mailbox(es) to which the author of the message suggests that replies be
sent. In the absence of the "Reply-To:" field, replies SHOULD by default be
sent to the mailbox(es) specified in the "From:" field unless otherwise
specified by the person composing the reply.

In all cases, the "From:" field SHOULD NOT contain any mailbox that does
not belong to the author(s) of the message..."

 ---

Only the originator should set the 'Reply-To' header.

On a closed or moderated list, the list manager could be thought of as
a proxy 'originator', then changng it would be valid.

For open lists, it should be left alone. i suppose setting the 'Sender'
to the list address could be justifed, but I can't recall any list that
does it.

The MySQL, PHP, FreeBSD, (now defunct) Perl lists, & many others are
handling the 'Reply-To' correctly by leaving it untouched.

Don Read                                       dread@stripped
-- It's always darkest before the dawn. So if you are going to
   steal the neighbor's newspaper, that's the time to do it.
                            (53kr33t w0rdz: sql table query)

Thread
ASP and MySQLHekuran Vokshi18 May
Re: ASP and MySQLMyLists19 May
RE: ASP and MySQLMike Hillyer20 May
  • MySQL stupid mailing list formatWilliam IT20 May
    • RE: MySQL stupid mailing list formatDaevid Vincent21 May
      • RE: MySQL stupid mailing list formatPeter Monk21 May
    • Re: MySQL stupid mailing list formatMichael Satterwhite21 May
    • Re: MySQL stupid mailing list formatJoel Rees21 May
    • RE: MySQL stupid mailing list formatFred Whipple22 May
      • Re: MySQL stupid mailing list formatDavid Shugarts22 May
        • Re: [OT] Mailing list reply-to mungingMichael T. Babcock22 May
      • RE: MySQL stupid mailing list formatDon Read22 May
        • [OT]Re: MySQL stupid mailing list formatJoel Rees23 May
  • Re: MySQL stupid mailing list formatgerald_clark20 May
  • Re: MySQL stupid mailing list formatMichael T. Babcock21 May
  • Re: MySQL stupid mailing list formatMichael T. Babcock21 May
RE: MySQL stupid mailing list formatMike Hillyer21 May
RE: MySQL stupid mailing list formatAndrew Braithwaite21 May
  • Not again... (Re: MySQL stupid mailing list format)Jeremy Zawodny21 May
    • Re: Not again... (Re: MySQL stupid mailing list format)Chris Kelch21 May
    • Re: Not again... (Re: MySQL stupid mailing list format)Michael T. Babcock22 May
Re: Not again... (Re: MySQL stupid mailing list format)Michael T. Babcock23 May
  • Re: Not again... (Re: MySQL stupid mailing list format)David Shugarts24 May
    • Re: Not again... (Re: MySQL stupid mailing list format)Roman Neuhauser24 May
RE: MySQL stupid mailing list formatDavid Brodbeck23 May
  • Re: MySQL stupid mailing list formatPhillip Blancher - Ontario Web23 May
    • Symbolic Link on MySQL 4.0.13Roberto Slepetys Ferreira23 May
      • Re: Symbolic Link on MySQL 4.0.13Victoria Reznichenko24 May
    • Re: Symbolic Link on MySQL 4.0.13Roberto Slepetys24 May