List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:John Hicks Date:May 21 2003 9:43pm
Subject:Re: Adding columns to existing table
View as plain text
You can add a column with a simple
"ALTER TABLE tablename ADD COLUMN columnname
columndefinition AFTER existingcolumnname;

What could be simpler? : )

--John

On Wednesday 21 May 2003 05:50 pm,
chrmead@stripped wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am new to mysql and have a quasi-design question.
>
> I have a php site which uses a few mysql tables for data.
>  It is becoming clear that some of these tables need
> extra columns (for data items I originally overlooked).
> What I am wondering is:
>
> Is it easier to add columns to an existing table (which
> already has lots of rows, but not a huge number)?
>
> OR
>
> Is it easier to create a new table which uses the first
> table's id/key/whatever to correlate the new data with
> the existing table?
>
> Thanks
Thread
Adding columns to existing tablechrmead21 May
  • RE: Adding columns to existing tableJoe Stump21 May
  • Re: Adding columns to existing tableJohn Hicks21 May